460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
This is really odd.....I have an 06 IHRA rulebook. It's the first time I've noticed they now have a helmet date requirement based on ET.

Pages 104-105: You must have a 95 or newer helmet for anthing faster than 11.49 1/4 mile or 7.49 1/8 mile.

Slower than that and you can still use a 90. For now at least. I bet they outlaw the 90 after this year. NHRA has already gotten rid of the 90 helmets altogether.

My opinion: be safe and buy a new one. That 90 helmet is too old, the padding hardens over time and will not protect you as well if you ever need it.

David Cole

·
Registered
183 Posts
i was reading somewhere that next year even snell 95's will be outdated, and not accepted,, i just cant remember where i seen it.. guess i'll have to do some checking myself..

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
A money making machine called belt & helmet rules.

Funny how a helmet that was never abused or bashed/cracked against anything is suddenly "un-safe" after a number of years because it NOW has the wrong number inside it.

And the 2 year belt rule.....come-on! If the belts are suddenly CRAP after only 2 years, maybe they need to be made of a better webbing material.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A money making machine called belt & helmet rules.

Funny how a helmet that was never abused or bashed/cracked against anything is suddenly "un-safe" after a number of years because it NOW has the wrong number inside it.

And the 2 year belt rule.....come-on! If the belts are suddenly CRAP after only 2 years, maybe they need to be made of a better webbing material.
Absolutely correct.

T

·
0 Posts
Basically helmets are good for 15 years. They outlawed the Snell 90's when the Snell 05's were getting ready to come out. I got caught up in that last year running Top Sportsman. I had a Snell 90 but was trying to wait for the 05's but they didn't come out till about October so I got a Snell 00 from Stroud Safety. Stroud has about the best prices I have seen on helmets. :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Chris, what do you think on the Stroud helmet. Is it very heavy? Have good ventilation? good hardware? and do they have different shields for it, like an amber one?

I'm looking to buy one in the next few weeks to replace my 90 that expired but hate to buy one without ever looking at one or hearing what people thought of it. Thanks.

As far as the belt rule its total BS. The roundy rounders can run theirs nearly indefinately. Harsher conditions and long term use when compared to ones in a drag car aswell. One night in a a buddies sprint car and his belts are used more than the whole season in my drag car. Just another company that convinced the drag organizations to "help them out a little". The window nets are the same way. If it was 5 years no problam at least I would feel I used it some. 2 years I just feel I am getting ripped off!

T

·
0 Posts
I like it. My old helmet was a Simpson Bandit. The Stroud helmet is light. As far as different shields, I'm sure you can call them & find out. I took the shield off & wear my sun glasses. Just my preference. I want to say I paid $275 including shipping. I am usually skeptical about low prices when it comes to safety equipment but I really like Stroud products. I pretty much have their catalog in my car. I use a Stoud helmet,fire suit, harness, door restraints,engine diaper, & parachute w/spring launcher. :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for your opinion Chris, I've been on the fence on the helmet issue for a month. I have looked at several different ones Pyrotect, Simpson, Bell, Impact but haven't heard of anyone with the Stroud. I agree their Jacket/pants and other stuff seems top notch. I'm buying new ones of those as well as soon as I get my new stroker dynoed.

I wear glasses so the visor/shield is my best option. Thanks again.

Brenden

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hmmm - looks like a Pyrotect version of my old Bell Mag 4 open face is only $150 at bellhelmets.com. THe Mag 4 is $100 more - wonder what the difference is. Both meet SA 2005 and SFI 31.1. I think my old Mag is a 90 - might be 95. Have to look in the smelly thang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts