460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an AOD for a 460 that doesn't require a computer to shift it. I have an 86 F-250 that I would like to put a overdrive in for fuel mileage. I do pull a 5th wheel camper, not a big heavy one so it will need to pull but nothing real major. Appreciate any info that might help.

·
Registered
708 Posts
To use the AOD you will need either an adapter, or a JW UltraBell. Alternately you can use an adapter to use a 700R4....or, as Frank mentioned, use the GV overdrive. The AOD & the 700R4 will probably need internal mods to live for towing...at least the AOD will.

None of the solutions are particularly cheap.

The only OD auto that Ford offered behind the 460 was the E4OD, which, as you say, needs a separate controller from Baumann, TCI, or the like.

By the time you sort all this out, the GV overdrive will possibly be the cheapest/easiest alternative, especially if the existing C6 is in good shape.... :wink: ....basically just a driveshaft mod & the hookups.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guy's, kinda what I figured. I have already been looking at the GV thing. Are they as good as they say or does anyone know. With gas prices as they are it wouldn't take long to get your money back.

Again Thanks

·
Registered
708 Posts
In my limited experience with them, (friend's car) they are pretty well bulletproof....I've never heard of a complaint elsewhere, other than cost. My $.01. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts