460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a an '83 460 with D3VE heads. Heads have been to the machine shop and the valve seats were cleaned up, new stock length valves have been installed with Comp cams springs. Cam is a XE 256H mild towing cam, 212 intake, 219 exhaust. New Comp Cams stamped rocker arms, factory 1.73 ratio. I'm not doing a big power build, just a simple rebuild to get a patina'd farm truck back on the road.

On the interface between the tip of the valve stem and the rocker arm, where is the rocker arm supposed to contact the valve stem? I can find lots of info about roller rockers and checking the contact point by marking it with a sharpie/machinist dye, but I'm struggling to find good info on the same concept with stamped rockers. Is it as crucial to get the stamped rockers to contact the exact center of the valve stem tip? If so, then I may have a problem.

With no pedestal shims, the rocker arm marks the valve stem tip at about the 1/3rd mark, on the rocker arm side. It would take a ridiculous amount of pedestal shims to get the rocker arm to mark the valve stem tip at the 1/2 mark. Trying to get it all lined up so I can get a good pushrod measurement. Looking for advice as to what I may be doing wrong or what I should be looking for.

Cheers,
T.P. Crockmier

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Hello All,

I have a an '83 460 with D3VE heads. Heads have been to the machine shop and the valve seats were cleaned up, new stock length valves have been installed with Comp cams springs. Cam is a XE 256H mild towing cam, 212 intake, 219 exhaust. New Comp Cams stamped rocker arms, factory 1.73 ratio. I'm not doing a big power build, just a simple rebuild to get a patina'd farm truck back on the road.

On the interface between the tip of the valve stem and the rocker arm, where is the rocker arm supposed to contact the valve stem? I can find lots of info about roller rockers and checking the contact point by marking it with a sharpie/machinist dye, but I'm struggling to find good info on the same concept with stamped rockers. Is it as crucial to get the stamped rockers to contact the exact center of the valve stem tip? If so, then I may have a problem.

With no pedestal shims, the rocker arm marks the valve stem tip at about the 1/3rd mark, on the rocker arm side. It would take a ridiculous amount of pedestal shims to get the rocker arm to mark the valve stem tip at the 1/2 mark. Tryinog to get it all lined up so I can get a good pushrod measurement. Looking for advice as to what I may be doing wrong or what I should be looking for.

Cheers,
T.P. Crockmier
Where the rocker tip rests atop the valve stem has nothing to do with valve train geometry, so forget that.

In regards to your shoe-tipped rocker arm: the contact point is fine because as the non-roller-tipped rocker arm articulates radially, the contact point of the shoe tip will move outward and toward the center of the valve tip not unlike the bottom of your shoe while taking a step when walking. So the factory has it right; just focus on the valve train geometry if you feel it needs attention but it’s probably close enough with a mild build like yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where the rocker tip rests atop the valve stem has nothing to do with valve train geometry, so forget that.

In regards to your shoe-tipped rocker arm: the contact point is fine because as the non-roller-tipped rocker arm articulates radially, the contact point of the shoe tip will move outward and toward the center of the valve tip not unlike the bottom of your shoe while taking a step when walking. So the factory has it right; just focus on the valve train geometry if you feel it needs attention but it’s probably close enough with a mild build like yours.
Thank you! This info was very helpful to understand the context of what I was seeing with these measurements. I went with a single .040 shim on all of the pedestals which allowed a good footprint on the tip of the valve stem as the rocker tracks across it. I was able to get all of the rockers and pushrods/lifters in and get good preload measurements,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts