460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the hopefully soon to be ending holley 600 woes. This was a carb i purchased in a bucket totally disassembled. I have rebuilt it in the past and it has never worked correctly and I need it now to work as I have it and my 750 dp is to much for my 302. I 2 weeks ago purchased a new total rebuild kit and went thru it all over again with new parts. I started with 65h jets vacuum 2ary is long yellow spring and a 4.5 power valve. I set needle and seat lvls, set the corner idle and drove it. I bogs Horribly from a dead stop but once moving it seemed ok. I read up and reset the 2ary idle screw lower (idle was to high) changed from 65h to 70 jets and from the 4.5 power valve to a 6.4 (I am running 20 inches of vacuum). I noticed the throttle cam (red) was set way up (high curve) and set back to #1 position. and drove.

at current setup
bogs down and will die if floored for a dead stop.
it "surges" from a dead stop if pasted bogged and dye stage.
but if slowly you give gas from a dead stop it acts fine.
the car is total warm ,choke is fully open, and I know it is acting like its lean.

what can I try next (still covered in gas and grime and on a laptop ron)

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Is the squirter working in the primary side? Good loooooooong squirt? Are the secondaries trying to open with the primaries off idle? It's lean for a reason.
Rob

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
squirters are working (but I do have the larger ones from the 750 I can try...i assume they interchange.

I did check the secondarys and they are closed when running (nice to crack the butterflys open there while idling...it goes vrrroom vroom :) )

·
Registered
238 Posts
give details on the vehicle what chassis?, auto, manual? rear gear, engine OEM? Modified engine? 4.5 power valve would be installed in a engine that has 6 inches of Vacuum at idle in gear with an auto trans. you may need a different power valve.
getting the carb sorted out over the net is :eek: to say the least but lets try...

Javier

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1979 cougar 302 mid build (dooe heads gasket matched, hooker headers duel with a h pipe, msd and durispark distributor, weiand duel plane intake, 2.75 rear gear, and a 490 lift cam ) I worked fine with the chevy 750 dp holley bui no kickdown, no choke, mech secondarys, and too much for a 302. this is a daily driver so a 600 will help bottom end a bit and gas milage. I have this one and have tried several time to get it right and failed so always back to the good running 750. When I set corner idle does it matter if in gear or idle?

I have a vacuum meter and set the corner idle with it and have a rpm gauge to help set it.
I think it is just a matter of setting to get it right, I am almost 99 % sure there is no gasket leaks and all the passages are clear.

·
Registered
530 Posts
With that much vacuum I would run at least an 8.5 power valve, try 70-72 jets, white pump cam in the #2 hole, #28-31 squirter with about .015" clearance between accelerator pump lever and adjustment screw at wide open throttle, make sure the lever moves as soon as the throttle moves. Check to make sure you haven't uncovered too much of the idle transfer slot, keep it at about .035". I hope this helps in any way, Todd

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok just checked the squiter on the 600 holley is the same number and the 750 (both #31)

main jet is at #70 now and ill have to see if i have a white cam to install if not ill have to hit the store later this week.
Ill see if I also have a 8.5 power valve.

thank you very much for the help
Ron

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow aquartlow that really helps solve 90 % of the problem, luckily I had a white cam here on the 750 and readjusted the pump spring to your specs.

THANK YOU EVERYONE :)

I thing I am good now just some more driving and twicking as needed.

Peace and Love Ron

·
Registered
386 Posts
Good deal. On a mild combo such as yours when you get a major bog (sometimes to the point of stalling) when nailing WOT from a stop it is usually that the engine is being fed too much fuel too quickly. If it was too lean it would bog with a nasty pop up thru the carb. These are the drastic cases. Sounds like yours was tuned way too rich on the stomp. Timing will also play a big role in how the car responds in this scenario. You could try adding a couple of degrees of initial and see if that don't improve the off idle hit now that you have the carb tune in the ball park. Glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok the hopefully soon to be ending holley 600 woes. This was a carb i purchased in a bucket totally disassembled. I have rebuilt it in the past and it has never worked correctly and I need it now to work as I have it and my 750 dp is to much for my 302. I 2 weeks ago purchased a new total rebuild kit and went thru it all over again with new parts. I started with 65h jets vacuum 2ary is long yellow spring and a 4.5 power valve. I set needle and seat lvls, set the corner idle and drove it. I bogs Horribly from a dead stop but once moving it seemed ok. I read up and reset the 2ary idle screw lower (idle was to high) changed from 65h to 70 jets and from the 4.5 power valve to a 6.4 (I am running 20 inches of vacuum). I noticed the throttle cam (red) was set way up (high curve) and set back to #1 position. and drove.

at current setup
bogs down and will die if floored for a dead stop.
it "surges" from a dead stop if pasted bogged and dye stage.
but if slowly you give gas from a dead stop it acts fine.
the car is total warm ,choke is fully open, and I know it is acting like its lean.

what can I try next (still covered in gas and grime and on a laptop ron)
Does it have an accel pump? If so, be sure that you have it set right. If its too tight it’ll dump too much fuel off idle and the motor will bog and run lean on the top end. Also make sure your power valve isn’t blown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts