460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all...just wondering if this article is legit? Seem like amazing numbers (695 hp) with such a small camshaft (244* @ .050) compared to what I've been reading about here on the site (having never built a BBF myself). I know the heads aren't too popular.

Hydraulic Roller Cam specs are in first link, dyno numbers in second link.

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-577879840
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-1432638049

Oh yeah, and it made 640 hp with an Edelbrock 800cfm carb and an RPM Air Gap..... :shock:

EDIT: sorry links don't work anymore and can't find them online.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I noticed the heads were ported but they gave no numbers. I would say this is legit.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDT-572 said:
I noticed the heads were ported but they gave no numbers. I would say this is legit.
If so, I'd say that's the best street motor I've seen. I'd probably still go with a solid roller in a motor like this because hyd. rollers can be just as big of a pain or more than a solid. I remember none too fondly of having valves start tapping on my hydr. motors after nights of racing....and it's no fun adjusting them, kinda messy.

Wonder what that motor would do with a set of P-51s?

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I don't run hyd rollers in BBF's and IMHO the Edelbrocks are good heads but for the money there are several others that are a better hp per dollar deal.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the general consensus against the use of Hydr. Rollers in the big fords? They are extremely popular in the Small Blocks and work very well even for 10 & 9 second cars...is the valvetrain too heavy?

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I can't say yes or no, but I have more ci, cam and carb than this motor, and I didn't make power like that. My cam is 240, .750 lift on both sides solid roller vs. 236 .675 lift hyd roller. 552 vs. 545 so not much more. 1150 dommie vs. 1100BG. I was using smallish headers when doing the dyno pulls, and no other options available. I would say that there is some power to be made with proper sized headers, and a few other tweaks here and there. I made about 575 hp. This is certainly plausible, but always remember that no two dyno's will give the same numbers, and Bret said his dyno is conservative. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I went back and dug up my dyno sheets, and the hp and tq on my motor and this one were real close as to where the peaks were at. 8)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
schmitty said:
I can't say yes or no, but I have more ci, cam and carb than this motor, and I didn't make power like that. My cam is 240, .750 lift on both sides solid roller vs. 236 .675 lift hyd roller. 552 vs. 545 so not much more. 1150 dommie vs. 1100BG. I was using smallish headers when doing the dyno pulls, and no other options available. I would say that there is some power to be made with proper sized headers, and a few other tweaks here and there. I made about 575 hp. This is certainly plausible, but always remember that no two dyno's will give the same numbers, and Bret said his dyno is conservative. 8)
What heads are you running? And I believe the hydr. Roller in the motor had about 244*...but that's nit picking. It's still a small cam for those numbers.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Fully ported DOVE's. They flow 330 on the intakes. Yep my bad on the specs 244 is right. Kasse put a smaller cam in the BOSS stang before he brought it to the Tech Seminar, and the word was that he was still in the 800 hp neighborhood. I can't remember the exact specs on his cam, but it was a split cam with I believe high 230'ish duration on the intake. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts