460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to help your questions get answered you should include the following info when asking for advice on building an engine:

1. Intended use

2. Vehicle info (weight/gearing/trans)

3. Fuel desired to use ( racing gas/av gas/E-85/methonal/pumpgas(include octane available))

4. Parts you already have

5. Proposed Budget

6. Location this may help to find a good machine shop

These are very common things required for any decent advice.

PS I think this would be a good sticky!

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Just to help your questions get answered you should include the following info when asking for advice on building an engine:

1. Intended use

3. Fuel desired to use ( racing gas/av gas/E-85/methonal/pumpgas(include octane available))

5. Proposed Budget

X2 ...

however, about half the people asking for advice don't seem to really want advice; they are simply looking to get reassurance for their own thoughts... (snear).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to admit ive been on both sides of that particular issue. At least alot of the gurus around here are usually kind enough to take the time to explain their answers. This means alot.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

1. Intended use

5. Proposed Budget

Yes, please make the first post a STICKY!

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am glad to see that most would agree that this would be a good sticky. I have just noticed that when several people ask for advice that it takes a whole page worth of questions to find out all the info needed to make a good suggestion. I will admit I have been guilty of this also, but thought it would help people get better answers.

·
Registered
957 Posts
WOW

Do you realize you asked for a sticky and didnt get shot down or ostrasized for asking for said sticky.:eek::p:p:p:D j/k Please dont hurt me.;)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well, he's right, it should be a sticky. After looking at it though, I think it should have even more detailed questions:

1. Intended use (street-only, strip-only, street/strip, dragster, "max-effort", puller, boat, tow vehicle)

2. Vehicle info (weight/gearing/trans/CONVERTER!!!/tires)

3. Fuel desired to use ( racing gas/av gas/E-85/methonal/pumpgas[include octane available])

4. Parts you already have - as specific as possible:
-Bore x Stroke (cubic inches) and Rod Length
-Cam specs (lift at the valve, duration at least at .050 lift, LSA, solid, hydraulic, flat tappet, roller)
-Compression ratio
-Heads (with flow numbers if available)
-Intake
-Carb type/size/cfm or EFI system and throttle body and injector size
-Header size
-Exhaust size and Muffler type
-Anything else you want to include to help determine for those willing to give advice.

5. Parts you still need

6. Proposed Budget

7. Location this may help to find a good machine shop.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Out of the thousands of forums on the web now, this is asked on everyone. Real problem with the sticky is that newbies won`t read ALL of the stickies. In other words, the people responding and reading THIS particular thread will be the only ones in the know of the said sticky. Its a sticky situation that seems to have everyone stuck.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
When they post a question and they obviously haven't read the sticky then we can just refer them to the sticky so they can add to their already started thread after they have read the sticky. Then we won't have the whole page of follow up questions to even begin to get to an answer.

And I say we keep bumping this until we get the sticky. So... Come on Cale!! What do you say?? To Sticky or not to sticky? That is the question! :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts