460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get some info on av fuel and where this can be purchased from. I've been through the yellow pages and found nothing. I called a local fuel/oil distributor and they had no idea where to get it from. So I thought I would ask here next. The company I work for is a small displacement diesel engine manufacturer. We make an engine for a military Jeep. We need to do some testing for the military concerning our engines and av fuel. Anyone have info or maybe there is someone here on the forum who may be able to help? I'm in the Detroit area. I guess I'll now try some airports. Thanks guys, Mike

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm trying to get some info on av fuel and where this can be purchased from. I've been through the yellow pages and found nothing. I called a local fuel/oil distributor and they had no idea where to get it from. So I thought I would ask here next. The company I work for is a small displacement diesel engine manufacturer. We make an engine for a military Jeep. We need to do some testing for the military concerning our engines and av fuel. Anyone have info or maybe there is someone here on the forum who may be able to help? I'm in the Detroit area. I guess I'll now try some airports. Thanks guys, Mike

Back home the gas stations just sold it at the pump. (lake havasu city Az)

Now that I'm here in Mi, .. I found you need to hit up the little airports.

Good day

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi Mike

Hi Mike

Just go to anyplace they have general aviation aircraft ( Paper Airplanes ). Bring a can. There should be a desk inside where the pilots go. Ask who does their fueling and tell him you need some fuel for a experimental type aircraft. Some places bitch about selling it to the public. If you still have trouble getting it, I will have some buddies meet you over their and help you if I can.

FYI - Having run AV gas in the past, it does not work as well as race fuel. When I used it, I mixed it with regular premium.

Good Luck

Tom

Sorry can't help you out in Detroit. No mechanics in that area... Also should have read you were not using it in a racecar...

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Local Type Airports are you best bet, you'll need to take your own containers as they can not put it into a Car / Truck. Typical you'll fine 100LL and may have to search around for any other grades.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
i have always just pulled up to the pump at a small airport here in WA.
Its not Legal to do it that way, watch you don't get in trouble.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I got an education from Aviation Station at Oakland Co. Airport. They explained that jet fuel is what we need and not av fuel. I didn't know there was a difference.... since I don't own a plane or jet :rolleyes:. A diesel will run on jet fuel however the EPA doesn't allow it. So... this engine we build is for a military application they want us to test it on jet fuel. So I guess the military will tell the EPA where to go :D. They also told me there is a 35 gal min ( drum only) sale at $3.55 gal and the stuff the military uses is called JP4 which isn't available to anyone but the gov't, the rest of us have to use Com Jet aka Jet A Fuel. Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
There is no testing needed. I ran my 2000 f-250 on jet-A for years. Me and about 20 other guys I worked with. Just add a little oil to it. The main difference between aviation jet fuel and diesel is the anti gelling agents used for the high altitude and the anti fungal stuff in it. And yes, if it is a diesel, you cannot put 100 LL in it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the guy I spoke with told me that jet fuel was 1 step above diesel and 1 step below kerosene. Thanks Guys :).

·
Registered
928 Posts
check with whoever the requiring body was for the testing you should be able to get JP4 from a military base or supplier if you are actually doing testing for a bonafid military project because when this type of testing is requested they will provide you with the materials needed to meet the qualifications they require.

·
Registered
270 Posts
check with whoever the requiring body was for the testing you should be able to get JP4 from a military base or supplier if you are actually doing testing for a bonafid military project because when this type of testing is requested they will provide you with the materials needed to meet the qualifications they require.
Just about all the military jet fuel is Jet A. JP4 is a mixture of Jet A and AV Gas.. Jet A is dryer and less BTU diesel which means less HP. You engine will run just fine just will need to add sometype of lub to it. this will help lub. the injecter pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts