460 Ford Forum banner

Axle Twist Allowance?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Gearhead559 
#1 ·
I've got a '66 Ranchero with a fairly mild 460, C-6, and a 28 spline, spooled 9 inch. After about a dozen passes down the eighth mile, I twisted the left axle. It was the stock 6 cylinder one so I wasn't all that surprised. I replaced them both with heavier Mustang axles and after about a dozen runs, I've noticed the left one is twisted again. I paint a narrow white stripe along the length of my axles and check them every three "post race inspections". This time it's only about a two spline twist and isn't concentrated at the end but runs the length. Is this safe to use or do I need to get out the plastic and go aftermarket? I've heard some slight twist is acceptable but I'm really not very fond of turning left into another car or the wall when launching. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
It doesn't surprise me when we are dealing with 30+ year old axles... a new set of aftermarket alloy 28 spline deals might hold up just fine. The cost of 28 spline and 31 spline axles are typically the same, if it were me, I would be looking into a 31 spline spool if I were going to pony up for new axles.

Tom

#4 ·
I twisted off 31 splines again and again then I bought a set of 35 spline moser axles and yukon 3rd member and knock on wood no problems yet!

Derrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.