460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
click to enlarge. pullin it today to see what happened either cheap rods i bought rpm 5140 I beam for $110 a set of 8 or sombody said maybe the motor too cold for 20w50 oil and starved a bearing and spit out a rod.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've made a few of those vented oilpans myself.It's part of racing and learning what and what not to do. :cry:

·
Registered
480 Posts
sorry

Man...Sorry to see your engine like that. Been there and done that. Used to run FE's and could not keep them together. Luckily, knock on wood, myy 466 has done well so far. Stock crank, stock rods, still going.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
nuclearcobra said:
Could it be from not hot enough and oil too thick? the first and only pass was on motor shifting at 6800 after 2nd gear boom.
Yes it could be .. I did that a few years ago in my first stroker 400 motor. Straight 50 weight and not enough heat up time. 200 Feet down the track spinning 8000 Rpm's and it was JUNK. That was my first learning experience, I've had 8 more over the last 10 years. I'm getting pretty smart now. Life is GOOD.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea heating up the garage now if its from too cold im gonna kick myself i drove it around the pits untill the temp hit 160 then went to tech and too the lanes so i didnt think thick was the problem i will post pics later today.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the motor is locked up so i guess i can pull it with the converter still bolted to the flexplate? Also thats the first time i drained the radiator thur the oil pan plug( i didnt know oil was green.)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Oh ya that good Kendell racing oil was green. Not the color green you had in your pan though.

Also pull all the Spark plugs could be just hydro locked on a few cylinders.
And try going in both directions maybe just apiece of junk lodged somewhere keeping it from moving.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its apart the rod bearing burned up and melted

ra/?action=view&current=IMG_7435.jpg]
[/URL]arcobra/th_IMG_7435.jpg[/IMG][/URL]169/nuclearcobra/?action=view&current=IMG_7427.jpg]
[/URL]

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks like the cap came apart, maybe rod bolt failure, one cap bolt breaks, cap starts seperation,bends rod and pulls from bore, then the **** storm hits.. Just a guess one heck of a mess though :!:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
6800 is too many rpm not to have good rods and bolts, but those kinda look like a eagle SIR-I rod ,but the bolt looks like a stock rod bolt? Looks like your turning alot of rpm for a front sump stock pan . you may have sucked the pan dry if it wasn't baffled. 6800 under a hard pull with no baffle could result in no oil for the sump to pump? I've run SIR-I rods around 6600 for a long time. But one thing I have found out ,once you get to running in the 6.50 range ,your pulling some good G's and you've got be careful with your pickup and pan to keep oil to the motor, you might want to invest in a accumulator for some added safety. JMO , hope you figure it out ,those deals are hard to stomach :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
final damage report

Well at least it wasent my big block i cant believe i 've never heard of that before 50wt oil was to thick for hi rpm didnt let it warm up enough on a cold day.It burned the rod bearings and the crank black on #2 and a few of the others pure copper. The motor died and locked up instantly and i guess i keep using that pan and pump cause its been good so far (and i'm a cheap ***)i beat that thing all last season and the bearings still looked good the rod bolts were arp and the rods rpm,it happened at cecil county i'm just glad i didnt spray it on the first pass.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts