460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edelbrock 1406 carb. Stock 1986 460. Set timing to 8 btdc as stated on valve cover. New plugs cap rotor cables. Premium fuel. Mixture screws set to 1-3 turns out pops no matter where there set too. Popped so hard it stalled on me today when I got on it from dead stop. Valve issue? Carb rebuild? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recurve distributor. You need to try running more initial
Ok. I did just notice that with motor off and cold, when I open throttle fully the choke only opens half way. Could this be the issue? The choke was wired fully open when I bought the vehicle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok. I did just notice that with motor off and cold, when I open throttle fully the choke only opens half way. Could this be the issue? The choke was wired fully open when I bought the vehicle.
It sounds like the choke either should be repaired or converted to a manual choke.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like the choke either should be repaired or converted to a manual choke.
I looked at back of carb and just noticed black burnt exhaust coming from carb spacer. The egr part of manifold was in welded closed but leaking. They just mounted the carb on top of the manifold. Now I have to find the spacer/adapter for carb to manifold

1 - 5 of 5 Posts