460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little too far a way to attend but I'll be there next year.
My brother got these short videos :!:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Guys,

Again, the rest of the story. Back last August when we had our drag boat races at Livermore, we had several quests from out of town. Wes and Dave said they wanted to bring along Wes's drag truck and run it. I told them it may be fast, but it still couldn't "walk on water", but that we could go to the drag strip with it on Saturday night.

So they made plans to do that and meanwhile I contacted the father and son team of Carl & George Keown and told them that some bad-*** boys from Missouri were coming and looking for them. Something about they had heard of a fast Ford pick-up truck down here and they were wanting a piece of it. Well that made the fur stand up on the back of Carl's neck and George got all swelled up & mad,,,,,,and the match race was on. Best 2 out of 3, Pro tree and I was putting the money up.

So despite the high tensions that I had helped create, the race was run and both trucks were extremely close with George winning the grudge race that Saturday in August. In the finals run I think it was a 5.92 to a 5.93 e.t. Both trucks had run real high 5.80's I think during time trials. Ford racers Randy Malik, David Willingham, J.K. Smith and others were there, and everybody seemed to enjoy the action.

As is the most always the case, both racers wanted to step up over the winter, and they did. Wes was running a 557 stock block engine and came and got a new block and set of TFS A-460 heads from Lem and built a 572 CID engine. The Keown's were already running a 572 A-460 block and a set of TFS A-460 heads that Lem and Bob had built, but the heads were not ported. So over the winter I ported and flowed the heads, (did some of my best work) and Jet Boat Bob buttoned the engine back up.

Fast forward to April 28 and another match race is scheduled again at Windy Hollow. Both trucks ran a bunch of consistent time trial runs in the mid 5.70's both Friday and Saturday. Over the winter each team was a little worried about how much the other team was going to step up, and the ironic thing is they both stepped up the same amount. About 1.5 to 1.7 tenths.

We all agree that we had cooler air in April than we did in August, so that will certainly be a part of it. On the final run Saturday night, George ran his best e.t. of the weekend with a 5.73 e.t. and won the match race again.

Further note. Guys these racing engines need to be serviced. The Keown's have a Peterson wet/vac belt driven oil pump set-up and I installed one of the big Peterson inline oil filters on the scavenge side of the AN-16 pick-up line. During the oil change this week, George was checking and cleaning out that scavenge filter and found some needle bearings and a piece of a roller wheel. So, of course the valve covers came off then and George had a broken roller rocker arm tip. Broken rocker arms, broken valve springs, and broken roller lifters are things that just happen because of fatique life, and you never know when they are going to break, so carry spares and develop a maintence schedule as if your race car where a military aircraft.

Later,

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Awesome!......And Charlie a lot of people need to read your last paragraph over and over to get it to sink in......thanx for sharing.............D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Pat them boy's truck rocks :!: I had a chance to talk with them they are great people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts