460 Ford Forum banner

Bellhousing.

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  InfoFord 
#1 ·
Looking for a BBF bellhousing.

Thanks.

#10 ·
351/400 on a manual transmission uses 184 tooth ring gear and that one does work with that bellhousing sounds like you stuck a 302/351W flywheel on the back of that 400 to me

the 351M/400 flywheel is the same diameter as the 360/390 flywheel
and the same diamter as the 429 SCJ flywheel

the automatic flexplate on both the 351M/400 and 429/460 uses the smaller ring gear

the D7TA designates the bellhousing of 1977 casting and for truck

in the pickup the 460 never seen a manual transmission until 1983
thus a E3TA and E4TA bellhousings is a 460 and designed for the external balance flywheel setup

#11 ·
InfoFord,
You seem to be real familiar with all the mods and parts needed for 460 swaps into the 70's model trucks. I was just curious if you have ever seen one of the other D7 bellhousings. They aren't as deep as the one you guys are talking about and came on trucks with 12" diaphram clutch. I have one but it is on the truck and can't see the part number on it. I had it wrote down somewhere but can't find it.

Dennis

#12 ·
the D7TA bellhousing was the first for the Fseries to install 351M/400

the only 429/460 bellhousing that was the same as the 400 bellhousing that I know of is a C9 bellhousing it was for the 429 SCJ only came in cars it also had a 11.5 clutch in it but it will take a 12"
I have the SCJ flywheel that I bought new in 1990

a buddy of mine has the C9 Bellhousing we set the 400 bellhousing next to his C9 the C9 was 1/8" deeper that is all so basicly the same bell

the D7TA was revised with a D8TA, D9TA, E1TA versions they are all the same physical size just minor changes like clutch pivots and the Vent hole on the top

all these bellhousing mention will take a 12" diaphram clutch without issues but will only work on internal balanced engines, you can use it on a external blance engine if you mod a 360/390 wheel to have it weighted to work on the ext balance engine

you can also use any 360/390 flywheel instead of the 429 SCJ wheel
though you may need to redrill the 360/390 wheel to accept a 12" clutch

here is a list of stuff needed to do the swap as painless as possible

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/460/index.htm

#14 ·
I have two different D7 bellhousings. They have different part numbers but both start with D7 and one is deeper than the other. One came off a 77-1/2 F-250 4x4 with a 400. The other came off a 79 F-250 4x4 with a 400. Just curoius if anyone else has seen this.

I have a C9 bellhousing and flywheel on one of my trucks and they are indeed deeper than a D7 and a 12" long clutch does fit.

I have turned the external balance flywheels down thin enough to use them and a 12" long clutch inside a D7 bellhousing.

Dennis

#15 ·
it could be that when one of your bellhousings was machined that the machinist got over zealous is the only thing I can think of

the 79 250 should've had the D9TA bell in it from the factory

the Long clutch really takes up the space inside the belhousing

without doubling up the template and what not you need to cut about 3/16" off the face that is alot of meat gone

plus the ext balance flywheel diameter needs stepped down after the ring gear to clear the bolt bosses in the bellhousing

me thinks it would be easier to rebalance a 360/390 wheel and use a diaphram clutch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.