460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK another newbie question.
1967 Ranger with a.c.,p.str.,p.b.Mild cam,I will do some towing and cruising with the ac on.
I mainly want low end power and it will never see the drag strip.
I'm still collecting parts for a better rebuild and don't want to have to buy twice.
Some say Weiand,some say Edelbrock.
What do the experts say?
TIA

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
OK another newbie question.
1967 Ranger with a.c.,p.str.,p.b.Mild cam,I will do some towing and cruising with the ac on.
I mainly want low end power and it will never see the drag strip.
I'm still collecting parts for a better rebuild and don't want to have to buy twice.
Some say Weiand,some say Edelbrock.
What do the experts say?
TIA
What is part of that package NOW would be helpful in determining what to use for some improvement.

MILD CAM is like saying "a little bit pregnant" and how about the rest of the stuff...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really have a package right now.
Currently the truck has a 390 in it.
I've already bought a 429 and a C6 and have spoken for a Tbird with a 460 and a C6.
I'm still in the planning/researching mode.
I may put the 429 in now and drive it while I rebuild the 460.
The 460 will have some good stuff in it but no high rpm race stuff.
I just want a spunky cruiser and be able to tow.
So I'm still collecting parts and did not want to have to buy the intake twice.
While I'm buggin you guys I have another question.
Is a 429 block and a 460 block the same?
TIA

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Yes ... the blocks are virtually the same.

Use a stock, production, cast iron, 4 barrel intake untill you have somewhat of a whole combination planned. The Intake and Camshaft are probably the LAST items to round-out a combination, if your major concern is about purchasing everything only once.

·
Premium Member
5,588 Posts
I've already bought a 429 and a C6 and have spoken for a Tbird with a 460 and a C6.
I may put the 429 in now and drive it while I rebuild the 460.
The 460 will have some good stuff in it but no high rpm race stuff.
Is a 429 block and a 460 block the same?
TIA
On any given year of production, the 429 and 460 blocks are one and the same. In fact, then entire longblock is the same on any given year of production. For info on 385 Series block characteristics, click HERE.

If it's towing capacity that you want, then I think that you should install the 460 now (more usable towing power than the 429) and build the 429 engine up for the newer/rebuilttow engine (change the crankshaft for a 460 crank or larger stroke).

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts