460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly large dollar used parts purchase I'm considering, I would like to know what secure methods of payments exist for seller and buyer. The seller doesn't have a Pay-Pal account and would prefer US Postal service money order, does this offer me any protection or recourse? Is Pay-Pal the golden standard for private party sales?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the feedback, but most private party guys aren't set-up to take accept credit cards. If Pay-Pal sucks, what would be a better alternative?

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Scot if some of the members are close to the guy you are purchasing the part from they probably wouldn't mind going and checking it out for you.... I know if I were close I would go check it for you or anyone..

just a thought

Randy

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would be leery of sending a postal money order for a large purchase. While, legally, you do have recourse, it seems minamal at best.

Yes, Paypal sucks. I use my credit card anytime I use paypal. Just last week, paypal offered to give me back $7 out of the 1500 I was scammed for. My credit card has already taken care of it.

If the person wants to sell the item, it takes very little effort to get a paypal account (or a Paypal alternative).

Also, I often hear of escrow services. You might check into that.

And lastly, if it's a bunch of money, you can just fly/drive down there and hand him the cash.

I know I'm still a youngin', but I have never and will never mail a check or money order to somebody I don't know.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
If the guy can't find a way to accept a credit card payment (or some sort of secured payment), I'd tell him the deal is off and watch how fast he changes his tune.

I've only had to file a claim with my credit card company once for a scammer, and he wasn't on ebay.....he was a guy selling parts on this board. I haven't seem his name around in a long time, so maybe Earl's Karma caught up with him.

How about a check from your credit card company? I sold a car to a guy in Brooklyn once and he paid me with one of those. I took it to my bank and gave it two weeks to be sure it was legit, then transported the car.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
use your credit card to but a us postal service money order. if you're screwed you have 2 methods of recourse. 1- through your cc company and 2, if they screw you, they just commited mail fraud (because it was issued through the usps), which is a federal felony, which can be really bad.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I think I had a scammer have a try at me this week.

It was as soon as I placed my WTB for the H beam rods. He pm'd me and said he had a set used. I did a check of how many post he had and it showed up a none. With a join date of Jan 06.

I asked him how used and condition with no reply.

·
Registered
558 Posts
cougar1969 said:
Scot if some of the members are close to the guy you are purchasing the part from they probably wouldn't mind going and checking it out for you.... I know if I were close I would go check it for you or anyone..

just a thought

Randy
Hell of an idea. Where are the parts, Scott?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you send a money order, send it registered or with a tracking number.I sent someone a money order once and it got lost in the mail.Luckily I had the receipt and had another one issued.I was told that if the original money order showed up and the person cashed it I would be liable for it and that you cannot cancel a money order and that they are good for something like three years from the date of issue.Without a tracking number someone can claim they never received it and then cash it two years from now.This was through a bank, postal money orders may be different.Realistically I don't think any form of payment is 100% safe anymore.I find Paypal seems to favor the buyer in most disputes, there are certain obligations that the seller is expected to meet such as prompt shipment and shipping via a trackable method which are good for the buyer.My bank holds the funds now on money order deposits due to the amount of fraudulent ones out there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just went thru this myself about a month ago. I was looking at buying a brono in the philedelphia area, and had some pics, but really was unsure of sending a deposit like the guy wanted. I was fortunet enought that our man Chilly was going to be there the next week and offered to look at it for me. Turned out it was a big stinking pile and would have been a waste of time driving 12+ hours 1 way to look at. I am sure if anybody here is anywhere near these parts you could work something out with them so you don't have problems later on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The seller's in Ohio, he's a 385 forum member that I'm unfamiliar with. I have no reason to be suspicious, but the transaction will be enough money that I can't afford to take any chances. Maybe I'll call my bank and ask about issuing a check from the credit card and what recourse I'd have from the credit card purchased money order.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Use an escrow service.

ByronRACE said:
If the amount is enough and you're concerned, use an escrow service.

https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

Independant 3rd party that holds the money until the buyer recieves and approves the goods.

If you want safe, that's the ticket.
And what if the buyer decides to keep the goods and does not approve the transfer? What coarse of action does that leave the seller?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have never had a problem with ebay or Paypal and I have made some bit purchases. I have looked at paypalsucks and other sites like it. It can definitely be intimidating. They have alot of rules but if you follow them you are alot better off (for ex. only shipping to verified addresses). I really like the idea of using your visa as they offer online protection but yours is kind of an iffy deal cuz it is really not online. I would ask the post office what type of protection (if any) they offer. I definitely understand your hesitation as I sent $5900 to a guy in Wisconisin to buy my Falcon and that was a wire transfer but I sure was worried. Maybe ask for some references from other people on the board. I personally feel alot more comfortable here than on ebay so maybe someone else could vouch for this person.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts