460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a great shop heater for this winter. Something that puts out some heat. Propane, Gas, Kerosene?? I have a Kerosene one but it isnt going to cut it for Indiana. :shock:

35 X 50 shop, very light insulation, maybe R5 or so.

woodburning?

Looking for BTU first, economic fuel rate second.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Seems how your shop is already built the best thing you could do is install an infrared (radiant) heater overhead. They heat the objects in the shop which in turn heat the rest of the shop. I have had convection, diesel, home furnaces and radiant over the years and radiant is the best. It will cost more than a used house furnace but it is well worth it. With a house furnace you tend to get alot of heat wherever the vents are and that is about it. I know lots of people with them in Canada and have never heard a bad thing about them.

Beyond heating it is also important to have good insulation and a good door seal.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
zephyrbob said:
lol what a puss. indianna is north? come to freakin minnesota jerry! bobn
LOL, that is why I moved to Louisiana....25 is unheard of. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Definately do the radiant, I have two in my 60x60 and they are the cat's ***. I set the thermostat on about 35 at night and when I'm working in there about 50 and I can work with a light shirt on and be very comfy, the stuff I'm working on is also comfy to be around. Had forced air furnace in another shop that was a lot smaller and when I brought something in it was miserable to be around unless I left it in there for a day or so to warm up.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I have a waste oil furnace in my shop 30x40 with a natural gas backup ,but basicly I can heat my shop for free all winter -30 , as I can get all the waste oil I need from my farm and a couple of trucking companys for free . Bought mine 10 years ago ($3000and it's more than paid for it's self) from Aaladin Environmentals Systems Elk Point ,SD 1-605-356-3028
Frank

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
In floor is the best!! But it only works good on new construction.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have one of those Kerosene jet engine looking heaters, (forget what BTU's it's rated at) but it doesn't really do that good of a job in my shop.

But then most any type of heater is going to have a tough time in my shop when the outside temp gets below 35 - 40*. That's because it's a steel building without insulation, and has 16 foot tall walls with a roof peak at about 19 - 20 feet tall. Since heat rises, most all the heated air is wasted with the tall walls.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hm dill i hang garage doors in buildings all winter long. i better with a 950 a month mortgage and car payments of 1800 a month. anyway i run TWO 165,000 torpedo heaters. even if 20 BELOW with no doors on it it is warm enough to work with a light jacket on. non insulated steel pole shed 40 x 60 no problem. bring enough gun, engine or in the northland enough btu. bobn. ,,,,

·
Registered
512 Posts
Such as????? If I move, it's going to be to south FL. I don't like anything less than 70*. 85* is perfect for me. Jerry, have you got your car back from Rasbury yet? I've got to buy a heater for my shop. The kerosene heaters are too loud and have too many fumes. I am thinking about a Dayton 75,000 BTU forced air with the gas saver option(no pilot light).

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ProF100 said:
Such as????? If I move, it's going to be to south FL. I don't like anything less than 70*. 85* is perfect for me. Jerry, have you got your car back from Rasbury yet? I've got to buy a heater for my shop. The kerosene heaters are too loud and have too many fumes. I am thinking about a Dayton 75,000 BTU forced air with the gas saver option(no pilot light).
well one nice thing is ORP ( US nationals ) is five minutes from my back yard.

It seldom gets above 85 up here, or at least that is what it was toward the end of the summer while I was here. None of that blistering 110 like we got in MISS.

Yes it gets cold but I'm in the shop working anyway.

I met Larry Dixon last week by accident and he hooked me up with their Blower guy. that wont happen in Batesville.

You can hear the cars @ O Reilly from my shop.

Don't need a trailer with living Qtrs now I can just drive back home or walk if need be. big money savings there.

the Shop here is bigger and insulated albeit lightly, 50 X 35. and the paycheck is much nicer.

Yes I did get my car from Rasbury. Right now it is having floating spindles installed on the rear at Rooman's here in Brownsburg.
Hopefully it will be ready sometime in the spring.

I have to get somethings done in my shop then I can get back on the car. This move delayed me some but I'll be money ahead in the future.

I'm thinking about one of those Waste Oil heaters. I priced a 150K BTU one for about $1600.00

It's either that or Natty Gas, we have N Gas up here.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ok. Maybe a few things are better. 8) Me, I'll take the 110 anyday over that cold crap. Who is Dixon's blower guy? Does he have his own shop or does he only work for Dixon? Call me sometime when you get a chance. Just call my cell after 6 PM. 205-559-2569. I'm usually in my shop working every night.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Waste oil heater, eh? I ran one of those for a while. Actually worked pretty well. This was my first and it was sometimes finicky in high wind situations (get a little smoke inside). Burns pretty much anything though. I've burned motor oil, trans fluid, gear oil, even burned home heating oil. That stuff was nice, burned real clean almost like ATF but it's thicker so easier to control and burns slower.

http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/GarageProjects/WasteOilHeater/PC150009.JPG

Crank up the oil and it got nice and toasty. Snow on the ground and it was over 90* one night.

http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/GarageProjects/WasteOilHeater/PC240011.JPG

http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/GarageProjects/WasteOilHeater/PB190035.JPG

http://cadunkle.kicks-***.net/pics/GarageProjects/WasteOilHeater/PB190036.JPG

That heater got more sophisticated before I eventually canned it. Modified too much and figure some day I'll make another and do it better with all I've learned from the first. Now I use a cast iron fireplace. I like watching a fire so the open fireplace is nice. Fireplace doesn't warm as much as the waste oil though. Like I said, I'll build a cleaner more efficient heater one of these days.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You have take into consideration that the waste oil heat will take more maintenace and be alittle slower heating up than Nat gas. A Nat gas heater should last 10yrs or more and need nothing, but the oil heater will need cleaned and babysat, to make sure it keeps going. But the oil heater will operate almost free compared to Nat gas. The radiant Gas heaters are pretty nice and not real expensive. Depends on how much you are going to use it, just for weekend use, I would go gas, for 7 days a week, maybe oil.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts