460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to pull a 460 out of a 86 f250. just use lift plate? take c6 off first? front clip?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i always just used a 3/8" chain bolted to the heads to lift the motor, it will be much easier to remove tranny first.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have usually used longer intake bolts and a hand cranked leveler or whatever they are called. If theres nothing wrong with the trans, leave it in.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have usually used longer intake bolts and a hand cranked leveler or whatever they are called. If theres nothing wrong with the trans, leave it in.
x2 leave the trans. connected I always put the yok back in the trans to keep the fuild from pouring out when it is tilted to come out it is best to take the fan off before pulling the engine out so it don't get cought on the rad. support

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pull the front clip, it's alot easier than it looks(10 bolts and it's off more or less) and it makes life lots easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i always just used a 3/8" chain bolted to the heads to lift the motor, it will be much easier to remove tranny first.
do i bolt it to the head bolts or accessory threads?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also i am having trouble getting the linkage off is there some kind of trick of the trade doing so. it looks like there is a bolt on the outside of the frame but i have no idea how to get to it.
thanks for giving me your ideas

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not sure about your shift linkage, it's been a while since I messed with an automatic. When I've done '80-'86 trucks I pull the rad support. Comes out quick and easy and no way my engine hoist will go high enough to clear it. I have tried a leveler but mine hits the cowl when I have a trans on the back. Last couple times I done an engine in these trucks I just use a chain and some strength. I prefer to drop engine/trans in together. This is easier (for me at least) than getting an input shaft lined up under the truck.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I helped brother in law pull his 86 F150 w/6 banger w/tranny ,and we took front wheels off and dropped front down. Hooked the leveler on and tilted it right out. It was close though. Dropped it back in the same way. Alot less underneath work that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone in the Longmont Colorado area that would be willing to help me pull my 460 engine out of my truck. I will provide the beer, pizza and cash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would just cut a 460 sized hole out of the center of the front end and slide the engine and tranny out together that way, that's how mine was done....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts