460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I was wondering what was the maximum (safe) stroke and bore of the 460 block, I heard Numbers like 4.75 inches of stroke and 4.5 inches of bore. I’m conscious that it means that some clearance need to be done for the crankshaft to rotate. I don’t know if it the absolute maximum or if can be even bigger?
thanks a lot
Mederick

·
Registered
13 Posts
A460 block or cnc aluminum block can do 4.625 bore,and 4.750 stroke.thats about it for practical use.with a 6.700 rod you end up with a 1.410 rod/stroke ratio.this makes a 638.you could probably go with more stroke,but you end up with a very short pist and ring stack.short life! also,the eliminator blocks may go to 4.700 bore,with a 4.750 stroke thats a 660 ci.yea!

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
506 Posts
If I remember right, once upon a time, you could get a short stroke crank for em with a std bore that would get it to about 410 CI.. I think it was just for some class racing they used for em way back then... I bet with that big of a bore and a short stroke if you had the valve train right it would scream to the moon!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts