460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the biggest size exhaust valve you can put in d3ve heads?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
What is the biggest size exhaust valve you can put in d3ve heads?
How big is the intake valve you are using...? That will determine the maximum exhaust valve size.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Stock 2:19.
First of all, a 2.19" valve diameter ISN'T stock but, with that intake valve size a 1.810" exhaust valve can be used in all applications; a slightly larger one can be installed into some engines with low valve overlap.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the stock valve size on those heads? That's what I'll be using.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
What is the stock valve size on those heads? That's what I'll be using.
2.083" is the OEM production intake valve diameter. I have used a 1.840" exhaust valve in that application to be able to accomplish a better "short side radius" when bowl porting.
It gets to be a battle of which is better suited for that application because that 1.840" valve also gets closer to the chamber wall.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you get an inconel exhaust valve in that size? I've seen 1.88's.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Can you get an inconel exhaust valve in that size? I've seen 1.88's.
You can get any "custom" made valve you want if you don't mind paying for them. Seems to be a giant waste in a lowly D3VE head.

I haven't seen that size or length valve made from Inconel in any catalogue...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I've seen them in 1.76. I'm shooting somewhere in the 80-90% range of the intake valve size for economy purposes here.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I've used 2.250" with 1.76" Pro Flows quite sucessfully with radiusing the combustion chamber edge around both valves (trace out the head gasket hole) to help unshroud them. The correct cam for your application goes a long way to making your engine breath real deep too, probably money better spent that thousands of $'s on valves.......
Rob

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do's anybody make a stainless steel 2.08 intake valve? What I might do here is run a 2.08 intake valve with a 1.76 exhaust valve and accomplish what I want to. I know I can get a 1.76 exhaust valve.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Do's anybody make a stainless steel 2.08 intake valve? What I might do here is run a 2.08 intake valve with a 1.76 exhaust valve and accomplish what I want to. I know I can get a 1.76 exhaust valve.
The LENGTH of the valves and their tip distance are different for D3VE heads than a D0VE or earlier head. They are NOT interchangeable.

S.I. has Pontiac valves which fit that combination well. A 2.11" intake valve #6004SG-45° and a 1.770" exhaust valve #6007SG.
Both are the correct length for the D3VE heads and have a shorter tip length of .250" to get a taller valve spring installed height.

Of course they're your heads and you know what you want so, it's all up to you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now I'm looking at maybe going with the Omni valves. Has anybody on here used them? I might need to get the measurements of you Randy since I don't have the stock ones out of the head yet to measure so that I get the right ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts