460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am up here in Minnesota and I stopped this am and checked out some Bio diesel and after filling my truck up I started it and drove it, I can tell the performance is down and now I have this desire to eat greasy french fries cuz thats what it smells like now when I drive.. :lol: I think they are getting the used frying oil from some greasy spoon and pouring it in with the diesel fuel after cleaning it, but hey it runs just stopped and bought a fuel filter just in case.. 8) any one else tried this Bio Diesel fuel???

Randy

·
Registered
338 Posts
ive been useing it for 3 or 4 years now id guess . havent had any effect on performance that i can tell how much of a blend are you useing id guess ive used close to 20000 gallons of the blended stuff good luck brad

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
What' s the blend? It should be Bxx. The xx is the percentage blend. Biodiesel will clean out the fuel system. So don't be surprised if that filter becomes plugged.....

I can't get any here, but will run it as soon as it's available. It's far better than regular dino diesel

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have been running B25 in my PSD for a few months now, and B20 in the semi for the same amount of time. I make my own using used fryer oil for the pickup and buy the stuff for the semi commercially. There is NO loss of power and an increase in mileage, on the PSD it seems to be averaging about 1.5mpg better and the semi went from averaging 5.4-5.7 to averaging 5.8-6.1mpg. and when the new ULSD comes out it will be down on lubrication for things like your injectors and even B2 will replace the lost lubrication and will save your engine and related parts considerable wear.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Right now I am putting B20 (20% biodiesel) in the big rig, biodiesel has a much higher lubricity factor than even high sulfar diesel, so no additives are needed.
BTW just for clarification, there is a difference between Biodiesel and vegetable oil. Biodiesel is made from vegetable oil but just like diesel and crude oil are not the same because the diesel is refined from crude oil. Bio is made from vegetable oil but it is converted to bio through a chemical process.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
WVO

My dad built a waste vegetable oil system for his 95 powerstroke 5th wheel puller out of essentially junk...and has been running on it for years.

Basically, he has a 60 gallon reserve tank in the bed. he has a 2-stage filtered gravity-feed funnel system he made to pour the waste oil into when filling to keep particles out. There is NO other preparation to the fuel performed. This is NOT bio-diesel, it's just waste veg oil.

At first, this is basically ALL he did...and later ran into some problems in cooler/colder weather. The veg oil and some of the animal fat solids in the oil started to solidify in the lines; making a mess.

The second generation solution was born. Now he has a plate-type transmission cooler in the bottom of his fuel tank and engine coolant runs through it. Engine coolant also runs along every length of fuel line that might carry WVO. Lastly, he has a temp gauge on the dash to tell him when the WVO is up to temp and safe to use. He was mixing diesel with the WVO for a while but stopped doing that...something about having the two seperate in the tank anyway.

He starts and stops the truck on diesel, and switches back to diesel well before reaching his destination...otherwise lets it idle on diesel long enough to clear the WVO from the system. He also doesn't switch to WVO until the entire system is up to temp. I suggested a temperature dependant interlock, but he prefers manual. Anyway, he starts the truck, lets it run down the road, then switches over to WVO once it's warm...and back to diesel before he shuts it down. He's been doing this since the truck had 15K miles on it...and it now has almost 250K on it and still going strong. Mileage is unchanged. Power is unchanged. One set of glow plugs and one set of injectors in 250K miles. He has a kill switch on the glow plugs...doesn't use them unless he needs them.

Anyway, that's one old farts way of saving money...and it works wonders. He brags that he makes it from Bend, Oregon to Yuma, AZ for about $5 in fuel cost...planning the route in advance from donut shop to donut shop. He has the whole route planned, and calls them in advance using his free minutes on the cell phone I provided. He prefers the smell (and taste) of donuts over french fries. He once filled up at a Fish and Chips Seafood place and said he couldn't eat seafood food again for like 6mos after that experience. 500+ miles of fish smell. Never Again. LOL

Byron

D

·
0 Posts
Those French Fries may be bad for your heart but they are saving someone some dough !!!! I'll take mine a little crispy !!

D

·
0 Posts
Those French Fries may be bad for your heart but they are saving someone some dough !!!! I'll take mine a little crispy and by the way can I get mine with extra grease, need to fill up the truck to !! LOL

I've been hearing about some technology the used flue gas from power plants and converts it into diesel fuel, anybody else heard anything about this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts