460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new 501" motor using a 4 bolt factory block. The rotating assembly and heads will come from my present motor. I want to do all the right things to the block to provide the best oiling I can. This will be an endurance motor for a boat. I am aware of some of the things to do but I want to make sure I get them all. I have no plans on lifter bore bushings at this time.
I searched the "old" forum for the posts that I remember reading that outlined in some detail what to do. The search function is not very exclusive as it pulls up a magnitude of posts and after lots of reading I could not find what I was looking for.
Can anyone help. Would it make sense for someone who knows all the tricks to prepare a post for the Engine Tech Archives

Thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What kind of boat?

It would help to know what kind of boat this engine is going into. Jetboat, v-drive or outdrive? Also need to know what the maximum rpm you wish to run. I run V-drives and turn the engines 7000+ rpms and do no internal oiling mods. I do however use 10+ qt pans and a Hi volume pump and quality pick ups.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
This selection of oiling mods is by no means all-inclusive, but are recommended mods when using our oil pumps and simple enough for anyone to perform, and would be of benefit to most any engine:

Click Here for distributor gear jet oiling mod.

Click Here for enlarged oiling passages from pump mount to filter pad mod.

Click Here for radiussed lifter valley drainback mod.

Click Here for front lifter valley drainback mod.

All these mods have been recreated in the "Technical Pages" section of the High FLow Dynamics website and will lauch any day now...

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil Mods

I thank you all for the replys. The information pretty well covers it except that some folks recommend enlarging certain oil galleries. (This was the information I was looking for as well). On my old motor I sealed the #1 cam bearing feed from the main bearing and sleeved down the #1 main bearing feed as was recommended. The motor is going into v-drive Mandella flat, RPJ, you know which one. The pan holds 10 qts and has a windage system. I will likely use a hydraulic roller cam. This will be the last rebuild (I hope) so I just want to make sure I have done all I can to make it live.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Re: Oil Mods

BMacD said:
I thank you all for the replys. The information pretty well covers it except that some folks recommend enlarging certain oil galleries. (This was the information I was looking for as well). On my old motor I sealed the #1 cam bearing feed from the main bearing and sleeved down the #1 main bearing feed as was recommended. The motor is going into v-drive Mandella flat, RPJ, you know which one. The pan holds 10 qts and has a windage system. I will likely use a hydraulic roller cam. This will be the last rebuild (I hope) so I just want to make sure I have done all I can to make it live.
Yeah, come to think of it I do know it. About the only thing I can add since is going into a flat is to run your main bearing clearance on the high side, personally I like .0032-.0035" A jetboat doesn't need quite as much clearance because the pump will limit the rpms to 5-6K, thats why I asked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Glad to see other boatters here. I am getting ready to build a motor too, for my 1985 Howard 5/8 runner bottom. I would like to spin mine in the 7000 rpm range. I still need some of the marine stuff. IE: headers, oil pan let me know if you guys have this stuff and would like to sell it. thanks....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.