460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the oiling mods on my D1VE 466 block yesterday. Followed the instructions on Paul Kane's site.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I too did that distributor oil mod and so far my bronze gear has ZERO wear.. Is a great mod to do i believe after hearing so many stories of dist gears wearing away.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Before you pressure wash it, take the 90 degree bends out of the oil feed from the filter to the main galley.

Also pull the filter bung and clearance the edge of it, so there isnt a shear point in that passage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did radius the oil feed at the filter pick up but I don't know how to get the threaded filter holder out. There aren't any wrench flats on it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
512 Posts
The hex deals are rare in my area. Most are round on the outside & inside and a PITA to get out. You can try locking two jamb nuts together, but that rarely works. You may have to destroy it to get it out. You can either weld something to it or use a mill to machine it out. I have made some adapters that screw in the block that use a 5.9 Cummins diesel filter. This allows a much bigger hole in the adapter. I made these for a guy who wanted to do this and I didn't agree with him at first, but now that I have built several, it is a way to have a bigger hole in the adapter and have a bigger filter without running a remote deal. If you destroy the adapter getting it out and can't find another one, I can sell you one of these deals I have. I have about 3 left.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ranch71460 said:
I did radius the oil feed at the filter pick up but I don't know how to get the threaded filter holder out. There aren't any wrench flats on it. Any suggestions?
Internal pipe wrench will work good.
I believe TMI sells new Adapters for the 335's & 385's.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
ProF100 said:
Most are round on the outside & inside and a PITA to get out. You can try locking two jamb nuts together, but that rarely works.
An air hammer (with pointed bit) will loosen it easily.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The last one I removed was for Charlie Evans and it was pitted like it had been sitting outside. It would not budge. We tried an air hammer on it, impact wrench with a nut welded on it, and then it finally broke off. We then used an endmill to cut it out. Maybe this guy's deal will come out much easier.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I have been blocking the #1 cam bearing oil feed on my engines, is this useful, or a waste of time?

Seems like it would help divert pressure further along the oil system instead of dumping excess out the #1 cam bearing and #1 main bearing.

A pair of 5/16" setscrews does the job.

Here's why I feel like this mod helps, look at the oil paths in the front of the engine. (Image borrowed from Paul's site, thanks Paul)

Greg

·
Registered
512 Posts
I do the same thing as well as restricting the front main oil feed down to 5/16" instead of 1/2"(9/16" on an A460). Also, restrict the driver's side lifter galley with a 3/8-16 set screw with a .045-.060" hole. Install this restrictor in the crossover block in the middle of the lifter valley. Just tap one side 3/8-16 and then screw the restrictor in until it bottoms out.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Why not just block the 1/2" main feed hole with a soft plug and use the cam feed to lube the #1 main? Be simpler and there would be no tapping for screw in plugs. All that might need to be done is to match the hole to the main bearing.

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Why not just block the 1/2" main feed hole with a soft plug and use the cam feed to lube the #1 main? Be simpler and there would be no tapping for screw in plugs. All that might need to be done is to match the hole to the main bearing.
I don't see anything wrong with it except the cam feed hole is .250" instead of .3125" like the other 4 main feed holes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've used two 3/4" NF nuts locked together and it removes most of the oil filter fittings fine with a bit of heat applied for good measure. You'll have to mill or grind down one of the nuts so that it is thinner in order for the two nuts to fit on the fitting.
-TOM-

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
ProF100 said:
I don't see anything wrong with it except the cam feed hole is .250" instead of .3125" like the other 4 main feed holes.
Thats ok too as the no. 1 main only feeds one rod bearing, 2, 3 & 4 feed 2 rod bearings so the volume requirement would not be as much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts