460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a BT dual quad intake as a gift for myself, standard port one. Would like to know what carbs would be best to use on it for my build, details below.
Would like to get brand new carbs, and would like mechanical secondaries if possible/advisable.
Also, how are you supposed to mount the carbs, forwards or backwards?
And who makes a linkage that can work, or that I can modify?
Thanks.

1970 Ford Torino GT, 100% street car with the following:
Cam Info: Lunati 268/276: Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 227/233; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .552/.564; LSA/ICL: 110/106
Rocker arm ratio: 1.73:1
Compression Ratio: 9:1, possibly a bit over that
CID: 466ci
Head Type and valve size: D3VE with mild/medium porting on intake and exhaust, valves 2.25" and 1.76"
Gear Ratio: 3.50:1 gear and 27" street tire
Trans type: Toploader
Max Shift RPM: Unknown, cam spec says power range 1800-6200rpm

·
Registered
263 Posts
Actually they will have to mount sideways. Look to the 427 dual quad set ups for linkage and carb size. The old 660 cfm carbs worked great but are pricey now. A set of 9776 450s would work for your milder set up. That's a 900 total. Even if you raced it, those are enough carbs for that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the 450s look like the right ones... Sideways so the throttle levers are both inboard facing each other? That's the only way it makes sense to me

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the 450s are perfect but everything I've seen says to mount them inline. I could use two 390 double pumpers but that seems like it would be hard to tune. Thoughts?

·
Registered
638 Posts
The carbs will mount inline.As far as linkage goes,I just worked on a T Bolt clone and the carbs were on backwards with the linkage on the r h side.It looked pretty universal to me with the mounting brackets bolting to the carb base. Don't know where he got it but should be easy to find.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks like the 450s are perfect but everything I've seen says to mount them inline. I could use two 390 double pumpers but that seems like it would be hard to tune. Thoughts?
I think until you get the carbs and manifold, you won't know for sure. Being the side hung bowl type the have a less overall length that would give you more room to mount inline. It all depends on where they put the carb bases on the manifold, how far apart. Unless BT has a picture of mounted carbs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think until you get the carbs and manifold, you won't know for sure. Being the side hung bowl type the have a less overall length that would give you more room to mount inline. It all depends on where they put the carb bases on the manifold, how far apart. Unless BT has a picture of mounted carbs?
I've heard that the BT intake for 460s uses the same spacing as an FE dual quad. Makes sense that they would make it that way.

As for forwards vs backwards, I think forwards should work just fine, it's not a hard-launching drag car. I can always just run the rear float level higher

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why dual carbs? Just for the looks? Seems way overkill for the specs you listed.

Suggest EFI over carbs. Single EFI setup would likely be better in every way and possibly cheaper. But it's your car good luck.

·
Registered
1970 Galaxie 429
6 Posts
Pretty sure BT used the same spacing
I have a Blue Thunder 2X4 intake manifold for my 429. I mocked it up using the dual Edelbrocks from an FE, with Stelling & Hellings air cleaners. It fit. @ least on the basement floor it looked OK. I haven't put it on the engine yet. I like the look of the Holleys, but they seem to be large for a street engine, and are very expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts