460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Blue Thunder heads in my shop that are unlike any that I've seen before. They are aluminum and have a Ford exhaust port that is not raised the way that most of them are. The floor of the exhaust port is tilted in the same way as the Edelbrock heads. The combustion chambers are unique also. Instead of having a heart shaped chamber, they seem to have a tight dual quench high swirl chamber. The heads came with undersized guides and without a valve job. As soon as these things are done, I will flow them and post the numbers. I also have pictures that I will post later.
Alvin

·
Registered
792 Posts
BT heads

Blue Thunder shows standard height heads is 74, 80, and 100cc. Sounds like yours are the 74s. I can get them for $710 each - - but have never seen one either.

If it's be OK with you I'd love to get some decent images of the heads before you start in on them. I would add them to the BT images already on my site. Seems nobody, including BT, has a full assortment of images for their products. I'm trying to remedy that....I think it'd help everybody ...

·
Registered
2005 18' California Performance Jet Boat 598" Ford w/ THOR Heads
154 Posts
Re: blue thunder head pictures:

Alvin said:
Those are BT Ford Exhaust port Heads(74 or 78 cc, depending on manufacture date). They use either a 2.25" x 1.88" or 2.30" x 1.80 Valve compliment. They flow very well out of the box, and when ported can do around 390I and 250E(@.750"), enough to support lots of power!

I have these in stock all the time along with Valves for them. By the way, www.dscmotorsport.com has large, color pictures of over 90% of the superior products Blue Thunder offers, so if you need to see something, feel free to stop by and browse online.

www.dscmotorsport.com
Ford Racing Components
100,000 parts in stock RIGHT NOW!! 8)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Barry, you have 2 BT 460 heads listed on your site, what are the diffs if any? Thanks

Cobra Jet style standard height Ford exhaust pattern

Cobra Jet style Ford exhaust pattern

·
Registered
792 Posts
Its the exhaust port height - standard Ford vs. raised. The standard port is likely an easier fit in the world of shock towers....if you're cursed with those (like I am).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Head pictures

Riverracer,
These heads came from you. When we spoke on the phone, I wanted to see a picture of these heads. I must have overlooked them on your site. I have yet to see a picture of these exhaust ports anywhere. As with all Blue Thunder products, they are of excellent quallity, and from DSC motorsport, they are a very good value. I believe that if more people knew about the availability of a BT head that fits stock headers in stock chassis, there would be a lot more of them sold. Thanks Riverracer.
Alvin

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hmmm...I thought all the BT Ford exhaust 460 heads were raised 5/8" from stock. Didn't know they offered a std Ford CJ? exhaust port. Does anyone have flow #s between the std port and the raised port BT heads (Charlie?)? Much difference? I am going between a set of ported TFS street heads, ported old A429 Motorsport heads and now possibly ported BT heads. Barry, we may need to talk 8)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't have the exhaust flow data at my fingertips right now (laptop, donut shop...) - - but I can find it. Intake is pretty much unchanged from what Dennis posted. B.T. claims intake potential right around 400cfm with a little chamber and valve job work...

Drop me a line at (248) 931-0358 (cell)
or email at: [email protected]

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
They,ve been available for over TWO years...

Jeez...I told everyone on here a few times about the availability of a STANDARD location exhaust port Blue Thunder head about a year and a half ago and 4 or 5 people told me I was a jerk and didn't know what I was talking about SO, I never said another word about 'em.
Now they've changed their intake port casting patterns for their other 385 heads also; and only offer TWO chamber sizes for the raised Ford CJ exhaust port and Chevy exhaust port heads though THREE chamber sizes are still available for the Standard Ford CJ exhaust port heads without the newly designed intake port.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That's OK Charlie, I told Bob a few weeks ago I didn't want them. I am really leaning towards ported TFS or BT heads with similar flow #s as the ones you did. The main reason I was "thinking" about A429 heads was that I wouldn't have to cut the heads to get 72cc chambers. I want to run 72cc chambers with a 0.040 head gasket. Bob says that would be 10.99:1. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 8)

·
Registered
792 Posts
OK.
I just got of the phone with BT. They do not have any of the standard Ford height Ford exhaust heads in stock right now. They still intend to make more - - but were reluctant to give a delivery date. Foundry issues.

I will keep checking back and let everyone know when they are readily available again. In the meantime - - if anyone wants them they need to find a distributor who still has some on the shelf.

·
Registered
2005 18' California Performance Jet Boat 598" Ford w/ THOR Heads
154 Posts
BT Heads

I have 3 sets of the stock Ford Exhaust port Heads in stock(74cc's). Also 3 sets of the new style BBC Exhaust Heads port in stock. 1 set of each(including Valves) will be up for sale on Ebay in a couple weeks, or you can purchase off the website. RR

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Standard exhaust ports

rmcomrpandy,
I remember when you mentioned these heads. That's when I started searching for them. I could never get Blue Thunder on the phone. No one else that I talked to had a clue. I too had begun to believe that they didn't exist. Then I saw RiverRacer's pictures on Ebay. He had them in stock and shipped them immediately. Once the valve job is done, I will flow these heads and post the numbers. I also have plenty of good pictures from all angles if someone needs them.
Alvin

·
Registered
822 Posts
Alvin said:
I have a set of Blue Thunder heads in my shop that are unlike any that I've seen before. They are aluminum and have a Ford exhaust port that is not raised the way that most of them are. The floor of the exhaust port is tilted in the same way as the Edelbrock heads. The combustion chambers are unique also. Instead of having a heart shaped chamber, they seem to have a tight dual quench high swirl chamber. The heads came with undersized guides and without a valve job. As soon as these things are done, I will flow them and post the numbers. I also have pictures that I will post later.
Alvin
have u finished the BT heads yet. i would really like to see those flow numbers. thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.