460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the dyno disaster on youtube so you don't have to find the thread to access it. This is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM9igD3XxaE

We found another block, ordered a new bellhousing and a new starter.

The crank looks good but of course we are checking it out to be sure. Nothing in the top end was damaged and the rods, pistons look good. We did notice the cam bearings were a little more worn than we expected most likely due to the spring pressure. We're going to use roller cam bearings for this build.

"Plans" are to finish the engine and install in the next two weeks. There is a Good Guys show in Bowling Green Kentucky 10/16 to 10/18 but I'm not going to jinx the project by saying I'll be there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
what a video! thanks for sharing what happens when you try to get by on a dyno test,i got lucky when we dynoed my 638, for some reason my flexplate,{J&w the wheel } would not work with the bellhousing on the dyno so we used a 390 4-sp flywheel.i guess we was lucky it didnt explode we only pulled 886hp at 6100. carb trouble saved us i think.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dyno

I've talked with several dyno operators since this happened. Not one has seen this happen before. There are plenty of stories from racing where the launch shock and load causes the stress but not from a dyno.

When my bad luck turns around I am buying a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
yes seen it happen, fly broke took off the dowels in the back of block and took some of block with at the same time, never good idea to dyno with any stock flywheel, what people dont think of it the dyno is harder on your parts then any car or truck,its like tring to stop the earth from turing, anyweak link it will find.

in fact seen it more then once with a stock wheel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts