460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
That reminds of when Bob Bales had a "mysterious" rear hatch exlposion in his 1982 Firebird Super Stocker at an NHRA race.

Reports were the the fire extinguisher in the rear hatch area blew up.

Ironic isn't it.....a fire extiguisher "blowing up"

Yeah, right.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Seen a few of these failures, usually the bottle heater switch fails on. If a 15lb bottle did that I'd hate to see how far my twin 50's would launch my truck :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Bottle "BLEVE" heater failed on....... and dipshit figured he didn't need pop-off valve and or blow down tube.... If 1000psi is good, I might want more.

Most of the world won't disable saftey features to enjoy such a surprise...

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
It's supposedly true, I found some folks from that area that know the car.

jdiddyws6 said:
The bottle was bought used, not hydrotested. Turns out it was in some truck that had a fire, thus thebottle was weekend. When I heard about it...i was so nervous to leave my bottle in. It peeled open like a banana, plus it had been sitting outside with the bottle in the back deck in the head of summer. I got the exhaust though:D
Got this from LS2.com

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Nissan guy blew his load earlier... he was on line detailing how he could over pressure the system because he disabled the blow-off disk. Then wanted NX to pay his bills because he left the bottle heater on all night.. They put a 1500psi failure device in the things for a reason. THe bottles are tested for 3000 psi failure before shipping. Bang, ding, drop, heat with torch, (or truck fire) and anything is able to be compromised.

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breath........ they make the earth worse for the rest of us. Want to be cheap or novel..... then eat the loss. It was owners failure, not bottle, not system, not car, not a failure of N2O......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts