460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone might recognize the carrier I couldn't find any brand names on it but i do have some pictures

It is a 4:11 gear not sure how i'm gonna like it for my daily commuter but i will give it a try once the weather cools down a little. I got everything in the car exceptthe brake lines I'm gonna have to do some modifacations the 9" had the breather on the oppisite side of the pumpkin so i will need to find a longer flexible brake line to get it hooked up, But shouldn't be a problem.Something that suprised me was the 9" took a smaller u-joint then the 8" WIERD!!!! So off to the driveline shop tomorrow and check out the modifacations they can make to the driveline.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The carrier that you have, sure looks like a factory Ford 4-pinion, trac-lock unit to me. Which is of course, a good thing. However, I wonder if the grears are truly 4.11's as the ring gear sure looks thin. ( like that really tells anything :lol: )

You might count the teeth on the pinion and the ring gear to see just what gear ratio that you have there.

I can't see the casting number that is on the case (it isn't clear) and you didn't supply a picture of the front of the case.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Terry, you have a traction lock, and the C7AW-E is the common 9" casting from late 66 to the early 80's.

BTW, check out this chart I found for the housing flange to flange measurements. This is why you had to move the spring perches. It looks like Ford made two sizes for our year Fairlane's. :roll: :D I actually have the housing from my old 70 Torino Cobra in my 66, and it bolted right in. I'm using the Torino's 31 spline axles, and the "N" case Detroit Locker. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts