460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1978 truck has several problems. I bleed my brakes, but my pedal is still not tight. My brakes work, but the pedal almost hits the floor and when released the pedal does not come all the way up, so my brake lights stay on. What do I need to do?

2 I have replaced 3 power steering pumps on my truck in the past year. I put one on and it works fine until I don't drive it for a few weeks and then it has hard spots when I turn. I will replace it and the same thing happens again. The last one I replaced never got the hard spots out. What is going on? I can't keep replacing them.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Power bleed the brakes, it only takes a little air to make them spongy and sometimes foot bleeding doesn't get enough volume through the system to get it all out.(Here's a tip that some might not know, when foot bleeding the system, DON'T pump the pedal a bunch of times to build pressure, it just aerates the fluid). And I agree with Critter, change out the steering gear.
Rob

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Normally if the pedal hangs on the floor it's a faulty booster.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Would it be the steering gear if when I replace the pump it turns fine for a month or so, and when i don't drive it for a few weeks it has hard spots again. I don't have any leaks or slack in my steering. Also if I do need to replace the steering gear, How do I do that?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm assuming they mean change out the steering box, not just a gear inside it. Just disconnect the steering shaft at the box, pull the pitman arm, and unbolt the box.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it be the steering gear if when I replace the pump it turns fine for a month or so, and when i don't drive it for a few weeks it has hard spots again. I don't have any leaks or slack in my steering. Also if I do need to replace the steering gear, How do I do that?
There is not any slack in the steering or leaks. When new pump is on it works fine for a while. I was thinking it was getting air in it somehow.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If the valving in the box is faulty it over-works the pump, FORD pumps are an "on demand" pump meaning that they pump when you turn the wheels, not all the time like a Chrysler. If the valves are hung the pump is being over-worked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A good thing to check as well before buying the pricey steering box is to make sure the joints in the steering shaft aren't rusty or need lubricating. I had the same problem with my jeep. I replaced the pump...seemed to help, but the hard spots were still there. Replaced the steering gear box and hard spots were still there. At this point I was stumped...I was wondering if my ball joints or tie rod ends were binding, but I finally checked out the steering shaft and the joint close to the fire wall was almost completely frozen up! A few shots of WD 40 and the steering was smooth as silk. To bad I found this $2 fix after spending about $350. Give it a try!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
With the pump, are you flushing the system before putting the new pump on ?
I would check the axles U joints. If one is froze up it will act as you described.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I'm assuming they mean change out the steering box, not just a gear inside it. Just disconnect the steering shaft at the box, pull the pitman arm, and unbolt the box.
Yes, the steering gear (as it is technically called) is also called the steering box.
Rob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the pump, are you flushing the system before putting the new pump on ?
I would check the axles U joints. If one is froze up it will act as you described.
How should I flush the system? I just removed the two lines and put some fluid in and turned the wheel side to side until it works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts