460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating a new project this winter. I am thinking about putting together a 460 in a truck with either one or two turbos, roughly 800ish Horsepower would be the goal in a street truck to play with.

The goal is cheap.

How Far would some of you turbo gurus push a stock block, stock but correctly prepped crank, Eagle rods (ARP 2000 bolts) TRW Pistons and Probably D3VE ported heads ? With a blow threw carb. Pump gas.???

Is it possible on these parts.... talking about strength.

I am thinking along the lines of ONE S480 or two cheap T4's

Please educate me on this subject.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
957 Posts
Block maybe okay but will need good internals. 800 hp is pushing the oem stuff inside.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
I am thinking about putting together a 460 in a truck with either one or two turbos, roughly 800ish Horsepower would be the goal in a street truck to play with.

The goal is cheap.

How Far would some of you turbo gurus push a stock block, stock but correctly prepped crank, Eagle rods (ARP 2000 bolts) TRW Pistons and Probably D3VE ported heads ? With a blow threw carb. Pump gas.???

Is it possible on these parts.... talking about strength.

I am thinking along the lines of ONE S480 or two cheap T4's

Please educate me on this subject.

Thanks,
Brandon
I think that if you are targeting 800 hp on pump gas with twin turbos, then a properly prepped OEM crank and 2-bolt block are up to the task. I would suggest careful OEM parts selection, inspection, and preparation for such parts in a combo like this. I should also note that the engine needs to be built loose with those parts and that initially there should be more than regular maintenance/inspection until you have a good "read" on what the engine internals are telling you at the preliminary inspections.

Turbos instead of the blower will take a load off the crankshaft for sure. Using aluminum rods would further minimize the maintenance level but they are not mandatory; 800 hp ain't nothing for aluminum rods and they could last a long time as long as you warm them up and treat the combo somewhat respectfully (ie, know how to run it...which I know you do, Brandon).

Paul

·
Registered
265 Posts
For a street vehicle I`d run one turbo and it would be a rear mount. Look for one off of a 7.3 so you can build your own adjustable wastegate using a simple wing nut. A stock motor can handle 6 pounds easily. You could don this entire setup for 1300 bucks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the right turbo's you wont need to spin it that high. i would run log style manifolds.
Oh, Its not that I think it needs tyo spin 6500 RPM , ..... I just love to hear a big block scream...........!!:D

I am guessing that also means I will need some good external gates.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
For a street vehicle I`d run one turbo and it would be a rear mount. Look for one off of a 7.3 so you can build your own adjustable wastegate using a simple wing nut. A stock motor can handle 6 pounds easily. You could don this entire setup for 1300 bucks!
Just to clarify, an OEM Powerstroke turbo can not supply enough air for 800 hp on a big block. Also, don't undersize your wastegate or boost creep will be a problem.

Going in a truck, you shouldn't have a problem finding room for a turbo or two if you don't mind a little clutter. For a clutter-free engine bay, though, mid-mount will work decent too. Keep in mind that mid-mount/rear mount force you to find a way to get oil to and from the turbo. Options do exist, but it adds $$$.

It can be done for a reasonable investment and have very good streetability, but you'll have to invest a lot of hours fabricating the tubing, mounts, ect yourself to keep the cost down.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is where I hope to go with the 460 Crown Vic. My initial build was about 200 HP less than my goal, so it seems like adding some boost is the way to fix it. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Correct.. Powerstroke turbos are way too small to feed a 460 at lower boost levels. plus the turbine sides on them are too small.

I plan on using a S480, or S475 for my 460 turbo build. ForcedInductions . com has those units for a relatively good price.

$599 for the S475
$899 for the S480

Diesel turbos, unless they are off a semi truck, do not have large enough turbine housings to flow enough exhaust and you will run into severe boost creep issues!

Thats why the S475/480 turbos are so ideal. they are abailable with a 1.32 turbine A/R. they come on with full boost later, but will flow enough exhaust; and as long as the wastegate is large enough, you shouldnt have any problems maintaining a stable boost level.

just my thoughts. I've been doing research for my own 460 turbo build since march this year. I have learned a lot, but you have to talk to people who have already done it or you will start your build off on the wrong foot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts