460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwin this out there to get some ideas... I have 9k to do one of my projects... How would you do it .. I need the whole Drivetrain.. Engine Trans Rearend(currently 8" :cry: )... Throw some combos at me .. Its going to be street strip... bout 50/50. Want to go as fast as I can and stay under budget. I am going to do all the work besides Engine machining...and I will buy the tranny ready to go ....

So .. tell me what you Engine / Trans/ Rear you would build with a 9k dollar budget. Figured you guys have more experience building more for your moneys worth... Thanks for any input 8)

Tyler

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hmmmm..

My rearend consisting of a 9+ Race Case good for 850 HP, with a Detroit locker, and 35 spline Moser axles, bearings, and a street 3.70 gear, and add in brakes, etc cost $2000 including some welding on the housing.

A good trans can cost $2000, but I'm running a warmed up C6 which slows me down and is cheaper. Maybe $500 to duplicate if you have a connection. Edit: Oooh almost forgot a torque converter. They ain't free.

OK, I've already spent a third of your money. :lol:

My motor was under $3000, but it is basically a stock 460 with a cam, intake headers, and my pathetic attempt at porting D3's. I think we're somewhere between 6 and 8k now.

Summit radiator 179
Derale fans 200
Big alternator 185
motor mounts 100
headers 3-400
oil pan 250
the stuff I can't remember .......3 or 4 thousand...

I better stop now. because I'm starting to hurt my own feelings..
I have over 15 thousand in my car that started out as a 2500 dollar roller.

But I built the drive train to handle a lot more than the 11.81 second pickup truck motor I have in there now.

I hope my wife doesn't see this. :shock: :shock:

Start adding in a thousand here and there for carbs and shocks and springs, and on and on. :x :lol: :lol: :oops:

truck motor ^^^^^^^^^^ :lol:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its going in a 71 mustang.. I just need to get this thing going... and this is all the budget I have for now... I will upgrade later... but want to get it running atleast with the 9K..

Also I already have Standard bore 460 block and a fresh .010 under crank internal balance.

Appreciate any Ideas... I might have to go SMALL BLOCK :oops: and thats the last thing I want to do.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
NOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOO !!!! Don't go smallblock !!! :shock: :lol:

Spend the money for a good trans and rearend, and then build a cheap "practice" 460 to dial in the car.

When I know my car is right, (and funds allow) this 460 is going into my F250 so I can build a "real" motor. :twisted: But all of the supporting hardware will already be there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts