460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy summer!

I'm looking for some build advice. And, I have read the sticky! LOL! Probably not many do...

I am looking to make my car a bit of a sleeper, and wake up the dog I now have under the hood. I'd like to build the engine up to a PI standard, or even a bit more. But I'm unsure about pistons to use, compression ratio to aim for, camshaft/lifters, exhaust sizing, etc. Right now, the 460 is stock, except for a 1968-70 timing chain I swapped last year. THAT woke up the engine a lot, but it is burning oil a bit, and then I blew a head gasket last fall...

So, time for a rebuild!

1) street use
2) 1974 Ford LTD Brougham 2 dr hardtop, 4200 lbs, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 rear ratio
3) Premium fuel, no ethanol
4)Parts I have:
-Edelbrock 2166 Performer intake manifold
-Edelbrock 1906 AVS2 650 CFM Carb
-D2OE-AB heads (rebuilt)
5) $5K give or take
6) I have a machine shop already.

I am willing to change the rear differential ratio; I'd like a limited slip possibly. The transmission has been rebuilt; I'd be willing to beef it up if need be.

All help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Any bowl blending or port work?

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
They have been ported, and are smooth, but not a mirror finish. They haven't been blended.
Porting typically starts with bowl work.
Mirror smooth and pretty are a waste of time. Shape is paramount. Aesthetics are pointless other than presentation.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering what pistons I should go with, as well as a cam recommendation? I'd like to make the most of the heads, but at the same time I don't want to go overboard and waste money on upgrades that may not do much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would go with a Clegg 521 kit for the rotating assy and somewhere in a 280/580 cam roller tip rockers big tube exhaust a good dizzy and msd ignition

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
With ANY BBF IRON HEAD a single pattern cam is inappropriate and will cost peak power.

Ported or not the typical iron head has an I/E ratio of about 58%. 13 to 16 additional exhaust timing works best.

A dual pattern cam will carry the HP peak higher and hold on longer after peak. Use one.

15 to 20 hp going from a 230 / 230 to a 230 / 236 shelf grind and another 10 to 15 going from that to a 230 / 244 or 246.

SJ
used 2b RHP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts