460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, First the car. She's a bigun. Its a 72 Ford LTD convertible. Carrying a bit over 5k of steel. Right now it has 2:75 gears, but the axle I have going in is now set up with 3:00's. I have a C6 that I plan to rebuild.

OK, now the motor...

I have a 71 LTD parts car. It has a 429 in it. Just a 2bbl but it seems to have the DOVE heads on it. I have not torn it apart yet, but if the crank is good, I plan to keep the 429 crank. If its toast, I am open, but will probably go with at least a 460 crank.

So what do you think? Can you guys come up with a good low buck combo? Looking for good HP, but with the weight, some killer tourk would be awsome!!

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I really would look at getting the 460 crank no matter what...I'm sure you can find one dirt cheap and it's a good improvement. You need pistons anyway, so there's no extra $$$

I'd go with a holley 750vs, edelbrock performer or weiand stealth if it will fit, 9.5:1cr, 215/220 .525 112lsa type cam, 1 7/8" headers if possible, port the heads on the exhaust side and add 1.75" valves...you can leave the intakes alone unless you want to do a little cleanup. You can pull an easy 425hp/500ftlb build using very common parts that you can pick up cheap to save some cash. This would run very well with the heavy car, tall gear, stock stall combo...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the ballpark I was thinking HP wise. 500/500 would be awsome, but its the low end that I need to move this boat.

Now if I change the crank anyway, how much more cash am I looking at to go a mild stroker??

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
A 460 crank you can probably pick-up at a swap meet; after that is a big step up to a SCAT 4.15" stroker which will cost aroung $299.00 plus the balancing for your assembly. (An offset ground 4.14" stroke from a stock 460 will be about the same if you consider the cost of the base crank)
To stay on the inexpensive side, to go with a stroker You'll need some 6.700 "I" beam Scat rods and KB is the only company selling a cast piston with a 33cc dish for this application, (otherwise you'l need forged pistons).
Call A.W.Brown at "Performance Crankshaft, Inc." and he can put together some kind of special package for all this. #(586)549-7557
A single pattern cam of about 212*@.050" with .490" valve lift and 110* seperation/106*intake centerline will put the torque right where you want it. Other companies have something similar but ELGIN has that camshaft under part #E-1088-P
As far as intake manifolds; you'll want the Edelbrock "Performer".

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Why are you going with a 3.00 rear axle ratio? To really get that car movin', a 3.73 will work wonders!

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
96Mustang460cid said:
Why are you going with a 3.00 rear axle ratio? To really get that car movin', a 3.73 will work wonders!

Have a good day!
Michael

Well its a mater of what I have. The rear from my parts car has the 3:00 gears in it. I also have a set of 4:11's but thats a bit steep. Also this is a cruzer also, so I want to keep the revs in check.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
RE: low buck 460 combo for 72 LTD vert.

First off build with as many cubic inches as you can afford. That LTD is heavy and needs as much torque as you can muster.

Check out this link to my website that outlines known good engine combos. Pay particular attention to the 460 truck build on page 6 and the 521 truck build on page 5. Either of those combos would turn that land yacht into a tire smokin monster.

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Knownenginecombinationswithdynoorrackprovenperformance.html

Any BBF needs good flowing heads to make the grade. The 460 truck combo can get by with small valve budget castings. Any stroker combo needs large valve heads to breath properly as well as a performer RPM or stealth intake. A performer intake will not cut it. Hood clearance not withstanding of course.

Add a mild stall convertor and you will have more than you bargained for. The 521 combo listed on the site was in a 6,800 pound box van and would run high 14 second quarter mile times heheh :twisted:

8)
.[/b]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GREAT buildups!!!! Thanks for the links. Eather one of them would be perfect for me.

·
Registered
1970 Galaxie 429
6 Posts
Ok, First the car. She's a bigun. Its a 72 Ford LTD convertible. Carrying a bit over 5k of steel. Right now it has 2:75 gears, but the axle I have going in is now set up with 3:00's. I have a C6 that I plan to rebuild.

OK, now the motor...

I have a 71 LTD parts car. It has a 429 in it. Just a 2bbl but it seems to have the DOVE heads on it. I have not torn it apart yet, but if the crank is good, I plan to keep the 429 crank. If its toast, I am open, but will probably go with at least a 460 crank.

So what do you think? Can you guys come up with a good low buck combo? Looking for good HP, but with the weight, some killer tourk would be awsome!!
Hello, have a 1970 Galaxie 500 Sportroof with a 429 +.030. Its weight is similar @ 4450#. I kept it @ 429 as the crankshaft did not need to be turned, only polished, If it had needed turning I would change to a 460. Larger strokers are now available for little more $. The cam is a Mondello/Engle MF101/104. The durations are 214 intake, 222 exhaust and .509 lifts. This cam gives enough vacuum to pass a vacuum test for stock class and will haul it to high 14 sec 1/4.
You will not have to do anything more to have the engine but a good rebuild and balance. Scott J can help with a cam If you do not want to use Engle. The rest will be driveline related. Lose that crazy gear make 3.25 a MINIMUM any more is better, lower than 3.70 will become annoying quickly. Trans should be stock with a good shift kit and 2200 rpm stall converter. This will make a HUGE difference.​

1 - 10 of 10 Posts