460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I have a set of KOOKS 2 1/8" x 4" collector headers that fit my old car (Fox body Mustang w/ D&D K-member). I have a Fox 10.5 Outlaw car with custum K-Member and the headers are hitting on the bar where the a-arms mount.
I measured the 2 before I started the swap and there was more room (2") in the new car(from where the k-member mounts at the body, just seems the area where the a-arms mount is closer.
Any advise?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I built my first set last year (with a mig welder) and really enjoyed the process. Wouldn't hesistate to do it again.

My only suggestion would be to bolt the flanges to a head before tacking the stubs. If you don't, it's possible to get the flange backwards. It's a painfull leason to learn......

Here's a couple pics of what I did:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I did use the tig torch to melt some silicon bronze around the outside perimeter where the tube meets the flange (inside was regular steel weld)eeps the tubes from cracking.

My tig is an old rig, way to hot for the thin tubing, scratch start at that...........PITA.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a set of KOOKS 2 1/8" x 4" collector headers that fit my old car (Fox body Mustang w/ D&D K-member). I have a Fox 10.5 Outlaw car with custum K-Member and the headers are hitting on the bar where the a-arms mount.
I measured the 2 before I started the swap and there was more room (2") in the new car(from where the k-member mounts at the body, just seems the area where the a-arms mount is closer.
Any advise?
Thanks
Change K-members or reworking the one you got might be easier than modifying the headers. The Kooks headers will fit without modification if used with a proper k-member. The way that the control arms mount is the controlling factor in how much header room you have. Look how AJE, PA Racing and UPR locate their control arm mounting points in order to gain clearance.
Gary

·
Registered
240 Posts
A chassis builder fiend of mine told me one time to never cut the band holding the four pipes together till you're done. Course that may only work on full chassis cars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks

Thanks for all the help. I managed to get these headers to work by raising motor and triming the motor plate tabs. I will have to put a notch/demple in the #8 pipe for steering shaft clearance.
Thanks again.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts