460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have been researching this, and its going to be a sideline hobby so to speak, mostly to make a little beer money on the side in my spare time (once the house is finished) the wife and i may kill each other spending that much time together otherwise :D:D
The idea is rebuilding battery packs. like cordless tool packs, or phone or....
Now i'm definitly not the first guy to think of this, but i dont know of any of them in canada..Especially in the bay area like me. :D (james bay btw)
now i figure i can get the CD welder (used) and some inventory for <$2000
i know i need to rebuild 4 of my battery packs now they're 5-6 years old.:D The margin is pretty good too, i spend $2 per nicad cell i charge $4, i pay $2.50 for a Nimh cell i charge $5..etc minus the consumables (thermals, fish paper and nickel strips) I would also be using more powerful and better quality than what came in the packs to begin with (especially dewalt) And i would also be able to do some custom packs and such...
Just curious if anyone thinks its as good of idea as i do.
my immediate area in question is 45,000 people or so..

·
Registered
165 Posts
i didnt know you could get the friggen things rebuilt. sounds like a great idea to me. have fun with it.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Ok i have been researching this, and its going to be a sideline hobby so to speak, mostly to make a little beer money on the side in my spare time (once the house is finished) the wife and i may kill each other spending that much time together otherwise :D:D
The idea is rebuilding battery packs. like cordless tool packs, or phone or....
Now i'm definitly not the first guy to think of this, but i dont know of any of them in canada..Especially in the bay area like me. :D (james bay btw)
now i figure i can get the CD welder (used) and some inventory for <$2000
i know i need to rebuild 4 of my battery packs now they're 5-6 years old.:D The margin is pretty good too, i spend $2 per nicad cell i charge $4, i pay $2.50 for a Nimh cell i charge $5..etc minus the consumables (thermals, fish paper and nickel strips) I would also be using more powerful and better quality than what came in the packs to begin with (especially dewalt) And i would also be able to do some custom packs and such...
Just curious if anyone thinks its as good of idea as i do.
my immediate area in question is 45,000 people or so..
sounds great ........ just need to market the idea ....... you gotto spend money to make money ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
620 Posts
Make up some flyers and business cards and pay some visits to your local electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc. contractors. Give them a small break on multiple batteries. We have a local company that we deal with that does this. Say, if we send them 4 batteries, we save X amount of money vs. just sending them 1 at a time. As long as the case isn't busted up, rebuilding rechargeable batteries is the only way to go, IMO.

Good Luck with it if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Sounds really cool!! Everyone I know just go and buy a new drill/saw/whatever when the batteries wear out. They keep changing the voltages so you can't seem to get new batts. If you can find a new batt, its almost as much as the dam new drill!!!

Great idea, let me know when your up and running, my dad and brother in law and I all have batteries in need of some more power!!

Bill

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hells ya you can rebuild this junk.
Bruno, isnt that what i'm kinda doing now??? j/k

"diggindeepthroat battery rebuilders" .........:confused:
maybe have to figure out a good name to start out with. :D

i think the best is advertise on the local radio rock station. most contractors listen to it and i think thats who i'd need to target to start out with.

One of my old co workers is dabbling in alternate energy means (solar, wind etc) so he may be calling for me to make him some custom packs. I think some nice lithium packs would be much more beneficial than some old school lead acids.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
hells ya you can rebuild this junk.
Bruno, isnt that what i'm kinda doing now??? j/k

"diggindeepthroat battery rebuilders" .........:confused:
maybe have to figure out a good name to start out with. :D

i think the best is advertise on the local radio rock station. most contractors listen to it and i think thats who i'd need to target to start out with.

One of my old co workers is dabbling in alternate energy means (solar, wind etc) so he may be calling for me to make him some custom packs. I think some nice lithium packs would be much more beneficial than some old school lead acids.
If your getting into solar/wind batteries, check into government $$ for business start-up, I know they are pushing it big time. They would be pissed if they knew the profits were going into a big bad emissions spewing BBF!!:p But what are ya gonna do?

Bill

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds really cool!! Everyone I know just go and buy a new drill/saw/whatever when the batteries wear out. They keep changing the voltages so you can't seem to get new batts. If you can find a new batt, its almost as much as the dam new drill!!!

Great idea, let me know when your up and running, my dad and brother in law and I all have batteries in need of some more power!!

Bill
my batteries being screwed is what got the ball rolling in the first place.
To replace what i got it'll cost a pretty penny. i dont use dewalt or black and decker stuff. i got Panasonic Drill, light, sawzall, and impact.
to replace what i got.. well..batteries are backordered with no signs of them coming...new Drill (li ion) is $560, Impact, $400, Sawzall...not available yet, light...welll ~$50 range...I bought a cheap Ryobi kit from Home depot to keep me going but they just suck. (although they do have a great selection of 18V tools) New batteries your looking at $60-$70 for your average 12V nicad pack 1.3-1.5AH. I'd rebuild that same pack at 2.1 AH for $40.
I'll hook you up Bill. maybe i'll give you a deal too....maybe. :p

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i've already got support here....i think i should be buying the CD welder asap.
credit card is free and clear, just paid the bill so i may be able to be up and running before the months up. I'll definitly keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Can you "operate" on any rechargable battery pack? Or just certain voltages/sizes?

Bill

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any/all of them. battery packs are not all that dissimilar on the inside.
all use individual cells 1.2V each connected in series, which is why you end up with each common battery size of 9.6V=8 cells, 12V=10 cells, 14.4=12 cells, 18V=15 cells...etc. I would likely be able to do motorola radio batteries and stuff like that too..although i'd like to stay away from that stuff as a lot of them are sealed, and have circuit boards in them.
I would also upgrade from nicad cells to nimh cells if a customer wanted it, AND their charger was capable. Nimh chargers can charge both nimh and nicad cells but the reverse is NOT true. (most common industrial chargers can except of course what would probably be my most common batteries i'd see....DeWalt) only some of their chargers are capable.
I the supplier i'm looking at also has Lithium ion, and polymer cells so i'd be able to do them as well, although i think the demand would be low for another couple of years.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think your going to make more than beer money off of this idea! Hope ya make ton's of $$$$$. I'll be your Midwestern distributor! I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Once you get up and running, let me know the details, I have a few contractor friends too, they go through batt packs like crazy.

Bill

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think your going to make more than beer money off of this idea! Hope ya make ton's of $$$$$. I'll be your Midwestern distributor! I'm not kidding.
at a small fee i'm sure ;)

I got some stuff for the wedding to buy first. then i think i'll do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts