460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tricks to purchasing a car in Canada? I'm trying to pick up a '70 Mustang in Canada and bring it across the border. Price is right, so I'm probably going to do it. Will I have to pay any taxes or tariffs to get it across the border? Should I have any problems with titling it here (Virginia)?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
When I moved here from Canada I didn't have any problems with my 73 Pinto. Of course I was with the vehicle at the time. If you look for shippers only some deal with cross country shipping and they are familiar with all the proper documentation needed or else there trucks get held up.
It is pretty simple due to the cars age. Newer vehicles have to have a couple letters from the manufacturer stating that they meet federal safety and emission tests. Then the customs officer makes up more paperwork so that you can register it when u get it.

If you do a search under US Customs you can find info.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Call your local US Customs office and tell them what you want to do. Whether or not you pay taxes depends on if the car is a certain age or not. Condition will play into it as well.

I purchased a tube chassis Mustang out of Toronto a few years ago. It had a clean title that was signed over to me. I had no problems at the border. Customs let me drive right on through after we told them what/where we had been.

You might have to pay taxes, all depends on the Customs agent at the border. Also, i believe if you have to pay you have to do it at the border....

I had less trouble coming home with a loaded car trailer than going into Canada empty. We got everything but the "bc" check at the Canadian border going in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts