460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has the best reputation when it comes to potring these heads, the application is a 3000lb mud race truck,600ci nitrous app....?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't care what anybody says, Charlie is going to do mine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
who has the best reputation when it comes to potring these heads, the application is a 3000lb mud race truck,600ci nitrous app....?
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106493&highlight=greg+good

Pretty much a subjective question as for this forum, the individual with the best reputation in porting the C-460 cylinder head is bar none Charlie Evans. With the extraordinary and excellent work that Charlie Evans does, it's sad that he does not get the same fanfare elsewhere (perhaps if he really marketed himself and really wanted to create a huge name for himself he could). Jon Kaase is the most formable anywhere else followed by in no particular order: Livernoise Motorsports, Holbrook Racing, BES and etc.

Reading your question will lead me to believe that you have reasonable resources and perhaps can afford to venture into some of the more exotic cylinder head porters and give you even a more competitive edge, especially considering if your truck is heads ups. Charlie Evans, mentioned above, will get you ~505-515 cfm on the intake depending on selected valve job, which is heads and shoulders above MOST and almost the max one can expect out of the C heads without moving the port$ around.

Having said that, the C-460 head have been known to do much better than that in the hands of a very select few (with impeccable reputations), albeit you'll pay the price and perhaps would do better by aquiring a THOR casting. The above link name a couple that have achieved 540 cfm with a 2.45" valve and 580 cfm with a 2.52" valve!

·
Registered
155 Posts
My .02,

Many are capable of big numbers. Charlie is without question, One of the best.
Send your heads where ever you feel you need too.
I offer this:
Charlie and Lem and Randy (just to name a few), dedicate their time and effort supporting us on a daily basis.
They build and test and freely share that lifetime of knowledge and hard earned experience .
They are gentlemen ( yea even you Lem) and honorable businessmen.
Trust is a hard earned commodity
They have all eared it
and my respect
and my business

Jason

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
IF you are just simply talking about the CNC porting and NOT the rest of the cylinder head work to complete them ... Livernois Motorsports has a good program for the "C' heads.
There are SEVERAL people who will do a good job so, it mostly depends upon your location, "Livernois" is only a few miles from me so my decision on just the porting CNC work for "C" heads is easier.
The rest of the job is just as important; maybe more.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Wow - You would of thought I put a thorn in someone's shoe !
NO thorn at all ... Dave Bamber is really good at what he does; especially with really big alcohol engines.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I dont know much about C heads at all. Any of the guys mentioned will do a good job i'm sure. Dave Bamber may not be as well known for a lot of you guys in the drag racing world, he runs a big time puller truck. He is a regular At the NFMS in louisville. He absolutly has to know his shyt to be invited there. Thats about all i know about him.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Not sure there is such a thing . Flow numbers are subjective. Dyno results are the end of all mesurements.
I didn't ask about flow number . I asked HP to cubic inch . Example . Blind Guy Engines builds a 480 cube engine and it make 1001 HP . the guy you say is the BEST builds a 635 cube engine a it makes 1176 HP . BEST is Not Subjective

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not sure there is such a thing . Flow numbers are subjective. Dyno results are the end of all mesurements.
The sad part is, we live in one of the most productive states in the Nation and we aren't mentioning anyone in The Great Republic of Texas. :( Granted, we have some outstanding engine builders here, they just wont touch a BBF on a bet. The ones that will, well,,,,, they just shouldnt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts