460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 F-250 4X4, with a C-6 Transmission, it has 55000 original miles on it, but I am experiencing problems with it shifting.
When just accelerating slow it will shift up, and downshift repeatedly until I give it quite abit of throttle, then it will shift correct, this happens in both 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. If I accelerate half throttle through full throttle it will shift through the gears great.

Any ideas as to the problem?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
hi Dave,

Does that newer trans have a vacuum modulator valve? I had the vacuum hose break one time on a 1972 C6 and it would only shift at a fairly high RPM.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does, that was my first thought, and I checked the hoses and all were hooked up, maybe I just need to trace it and replace it to see if it has a small break that I can't see.
I just got home from the races, and it pulled and shifted great, but with the 5.8 I have to keep my foot in it to pull the trailer and 5000 lb. race truck, and like I said, when you have your foot in it, it does great.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about it guys, no clue to what this could be?

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
could be an issue with the governor?

Honestly I'm not really in the know on the non electronic shift controls.

give me a pcm controlled unit or a full blown manual vb-trankbrake etc I'm your man.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have seen c4 do this on the 1-2.Not the 2-3 but i guess it is possible.Here is a quote for C6 from a transgo book i have.

Complaint: Bump-Bump-Bump at 8-12 mph
Cause: Governor not stabilised allowing rapid shifting up and down from low to second
Fix: Install transgo SK6-7 shift kit

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the governor might be the problem, now a dumb question, where is the governor located?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
133 Posts
take off the extension housing and here is a pic of the governor.

:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the illustration, that looks easy enough. I will check in to this. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts