460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fox body Mustang w/ 460 C-6 4500 ATI stall reverse valve body (no trans brake), track only use and it has a flare between 1,2 and 2,3. The 1,2 is the worst, it hits rev limiter then shifts.
Does anyone have ideas and solutions?
Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
You could have a problem in the servo.
Perhaps the return spring is too strong and causes a delayed 1-2 and releases too quick before the direct clutch has applied.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A billet servo will help eliminate this problem. Also, check the band adjustment. It should be 1-1/4" turn's for corse thread, and 2 turns for fine thread. Cook's Racing Automatics.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trans

I spoke to PA trans today and they thought the 1,2 flare might be metal shavings in valvebody. Recomended to remove and flush, then test. the 2,3 flare they thought was servo.
I would really like to get through this summer with out having to go through it, I was planning on doing this over the winter and adding a transbreak. The budget is thin for the summer.
What would happen running it like this or tring to flush the valvebody? Just wondering the down side?
Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is about a 30 min. job. If your not familiar with valve bodies, make sure you make a scribe mark were there are any ball's. Wash out with a spray carb cleaner then air check the valves for proper movement.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Um

A billet servo will help eliminate this problem. Also, check the band adjustment. It should be 1-1/4" turn's for corse thread, and 2 turns for fine thread. Cook's Racing Automatics.

It's a C6. Only one thread.

Torque adjuster to 10 foot pounds, back off 1 full turn.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trans

Pulled trans appart today. Problem was 2 and 3 clutches were worn, 3 pretty bad. It will be interesting to see what times the car runs now. Car ran 10.39 at 130 w/ 1.46 60'

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
repaired trans

Put a new band on 2nd gear w/ clutches in 2 & 3
Car ran 10.34 @ 130.78 w/ 1.44 60'
The weather was much hotter on this run than the runs with hurt trans.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts