460 Ford Forum banner

201 - 207 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greg

I think I have managed to misplace a snap ring for the spring retainer in the reverse / high clutch...do you know anywhere in Australia I could possibly source a replacement? Would motospecs or driveline you mentioned earlier be the places to try?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im reading that 86 and newer C6's potentially didnt have a snap ring but just a smaller ID for the spring retainer....I just checked and my spring retainer cannot fit over the inner race...would it be safe to assume that would mean mine never had a snap ring?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
That's interesting. I've not come across that . Assuming you mean the low/reverse clutch in the case. Could well be the case then. Normal assembly is fit the piston, bolt the inner race in then fit retainer and snap ring. If the retainer is not fitting over the race then that would explain it.

I doubt you'd get a clip like that new . Only place may be Transwreck. He has some C6 stuff I've bought over time from him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks mate, yeah the low / reverse clutch in the case. But yeah in the later models (86+ in USA) there is no snap ring - a big relief as especially over in Australia, I would have been in a lot of trouble to source a replacement without buying another C6 and it would of been humerous to have a whole transmission bricked because of such a small part.

Is it the SK6 Transgo kit that you use? If I have trouble again with the Fairbanks kit spring i might pick one up...I'm sure second time round I'll work it out - just paranoid about "forcing" things especially with the tight clearances on these valve bodies.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I use the SK-6 or 67-2 , depends on the final use . The 67-2 is a performance based kit where as the SK-6 is a basic shift improver.
Although the SK-6 can be used for more with other mods can achieve similar

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greg

Thanks for all your help - definitely appreciated. I reassembled the transmission yesterday and found my endplay clearances are out of spec...is there anywhere in Australia you can get the selective thrust washers for the front pump or do I need to order off a place like broader performance?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You could try ATP motospecs . These are the #1 thrust
.120"-FWV-6005
.104"-FWV-6004
.089"-FWV-6003
.076"-FWV-6002

FAILING THAT YOU CAN MAKE UP A THIN SHIM TO GO UNDER THE PLASTIC PUMP WASHER or
Can also make a shim to go under the rear planet front thrust to push everything forward a little , depends what you're at now

201 - 207 of 207 Posts