460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Gearhead , I can make a transbrake out of the D2AP upper/C7AP lower it's just that you will have to be super careful on postioning the valvebody in the case ( not that hard ) When I find my pic's in my computer of the proper way to check clutch pack clearances using a magnetic base dial indicator I post them
Frank

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Gearhead, Ship valvebodiesto me at
Frank Merkl
Box 493
Brooks , Alberta
T1R1B5

Ship using USPS parcel post
make sure wrap the Vb in a couple of rags, (post office doesn't like any oil leaking from packages)double bag in ziplocks and put it in a strong cardboard box
Frank

·
Registered
41 Posts
frank do you use the same R servo and E lever in the transmissions you build for mud boggers? what is the ratio on a "K" lever?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gearhead the ratio for a "K" lever was not listed. there is also a RR lever which is suppose to have a 2.82 ratio it seems most truck c-6's have a a code lever. but i found a "E" lever and a c7/c8 valve body in a old c6 for a fe last week!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Okay Guy's finally got around to posting pic's of how to check clutch pack clearances

Checking low/reverse min .060 with 5 clutches max.080

Checking High/reverse .012-.014 per clutch and steel ie;5clutches .060-.070 , checking using stator support to pressure check

forward clutch ,checking using stator support for pressure checking .040-.050 with 4 clutches and wave installed or .050-.060 5 clutches and NO wave plate

Checking for clearance on the high/reverse clutch pack for the forward drum there must be clearance at the x for the forward drum , CJ drum shown that has had a new snapring groove so it will hold 6 standard clutches and steels, pressure plate has been step cut for clearance, notice identification groove in drive lugs

checking stack height on forward planetary for forward drum , on a drum with .330 pocket measurement should be .335-.345. on a newwer .400 pocket drum .405-.415

new style .400 pocket left, right old style .330 pocket stack height notice ident ridge at X
Frank
if I have you totally confused just call me 403-793-5412

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I guess I should add when using the stator support for pressure checking clearances use your old cast sealing rings and when you assemble the trans using teflon sealing rings pack the sealing ring grooves first with Vasoline then put the teflons in the grooves as in will hold the teflons in the bottom of the groove . Also if you are just using a shift kit in your C6 Don't use the teflon sealing rings use the stock cast ones as most shift kits don't bump the line pressure up enough to warrent using them. also after you have the trans assembled and before you put the valvebody on ,pressure check the trans to make sure all the clutches apply and with the teflon's you will have to fill the ports with trans fluid several times and air check to hear them apply . PS ,Vasoline is the best assemble lube for a trans -use it on the seals when installing the pistons in the drums and the case -for holding the torringtons and thrust washers in place on assemble
Frank

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I've read this thread and all the links but still can't see anything to ID the year of a transmission. Have i missed something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
newbie questiom-found the thread very informative

ok so i just bought 1970 long wheel-base ranger w a DIVE 460 w c-6, not sure what from im thinking a later 70s truck. ok so i have two questions.

one, ive never really used a ratchet shifter before (this truck has a b&m mega shifter) and im unsure of exactly how it works? and it seems to be somewhat difficult to shift from p to n to r to d. just takes more force than i think it should. and whats the deal w the reverse lockout?.

two, what can i do to this tranny and or rear set to increase the max speed per gear thus increasing the overall top speed of the truck...to say the 140 -160mph+ area

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
same shifter i have in my car.! only the car model. the cable could be pinched or melted causing it to be stiff! but i slam mine all the time. when i pull it back to 1 and it rachets from there. pulling up on the t handle should help with the reverse lockout and shifting to park and whatnot! just sit in it one night and play with it till you get it down pat! thats what i did.

only way to incease top speed would be to put taller tires on. lower # rear gears or a gear vendors over drive unit on the back of the trans.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What is the length of the short tail housing? I just got a c6 out of a f150 ranger and am unsure of which tail housing it has. Does the long one have the side mount and the short one doesn't?

Thanks,
Wes

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
wesperkins said:
What is the length of the short tail housing? I just got a c6 out of a f150 ranger and am unsure of which tail housing it has. Does the long one have the side mount and the short one doesn't?

Thanks,
Wes
yes that is it. long has the funny mount. and the short one has a normal mount. hope this helps

41 - 60 of 187 Posts