460 Ford Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
The plastic sprag will not outlive the old style. In race conditions they won't hold up to the heat. But you can add Castrol blue hyd. fluid Part # 40247 ISO46 will keep any trans up to 20 deg. cooler.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does anybody have a pic of the two different high/reverse drums? I know Frank said there are two different ones, being the length of the splines. I have a bunch of different year transmissions and parts, but no 2 different drums. It would be great to see the diff. in a pic. Any help is apprieciated, thanks, Mike

Bobby, I'm running Amalie full synthetic, how much "blu" oil should I add?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is long tailshaft c6 OK for street/light trailer use?

I just bought a 1970 460/c6 motor/trans. comp. neither ever opened up. Said came out of a Lin. I have a f-100 with 460/c6 in it now, and noticed this one has a long tailshaft. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm thinking of puting it in another f-100 for a daily driver, and maybe pull the other to the track on trailer. Is there any diff. other than tail length? First time using this site so correct me if i'm doing something wrong!

·
Registered
10 Posts
greetings all,
I am considering purchasing an over drive unit from Gear Vendors for my C6 transmission.
I have an RV with a 460 c.i. matched to a C6.
TheRV is about 30 feet and is a 1989 .
Is the cost really woth benefits in fuel savings, wear on the motor and tranny?
The motor screams at 70 MPH. No tach yet to see where it is at on the RPM's.
The cost is $3, 400 plus a bigger tranny cooler, larger fluid ports in the tranny to get a higher volume of fluid, new tran's hoses, shorter drive shaft. ET...
About a $5,000 expense.
I am willing to consider other options.
I am planning on a trip to Alaske in about 2 months so I want to give the RV as much help as I can plus save some $$$ on fuel cost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got a '79 F350 Supercab 2wd with a 460/C6. Today I hauled my trailer with stuff to the dump. The truck seemed to be "working" to pull the trailer(18' Big Tex car trailer w/ probably 500# worth of junk on it). When I got home and put into reverse it started to shutter. Got the trailer unhooked,took the truck out for a drive,came back,put it into reverse...same thing, it started shuddering....Is it time for a rebuild?...or would it be cheaper to switch over to a manual trans? I just bought this truck,so I do not know the history. Thanks
Lance

·
Registered
72 Posts
well, that was short lived....still shutters in reverse...but only after driven for a few miles??? Guessin Im needin it rebuilt?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Used the truck(79 F350 Supercab 2wd,460,C6,D70 w/3.73) this weekend to tow my trailer and a 1t Chevy flatbed dually. When I would hit a SMALL grade or take off from a stop, the truck moved liked the brakes were on,even if I put my foot to the floor,but it didnt sound like the engine was over revving. When I would kick it down, it would kick down and immediately upshift.....Does this sound like a trans problem?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, I finally had the time to adjust my band...now the trucks works GREAT. I had to turn the adjuster bolt in about 5 full turns to get it to torque! Set it at 120in lbs and backed it off 1 1/2 turns. Works like it's suppose to now.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well, I finally had the time to adjust my band...now the trucks works GREAT. I had to turn the adjuster bolt in about 5 full turns to get it to torque! Set it at 120in lbs and backed it off 1 1/2 turns. Works like it's suppose to now.
If you had to adjust it that much stop now and replace the band before you destroy the drum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great.....maybe I was exaggerating?? Now I cant really remember! But I do know it was not 1 1/2 turns...could have been 3 but it sure seemed like a lot!

161 - 180 of 207 Posts