460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done almost all ford transmissions but for some reason,a C4 has never passed across my bench.The motor is basically a stock 351 W that presently sits in front of a FMX.Anyway,the case and tailshaft have a D4 casting number but haven't checked the date. There is no tag.Anything I should look for and what parts and kits are recommended?Any special tools other than the usual needed such as seal protectors,etc? Will the FMX flex plate work? Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The D4 is a 70 and up C4 case. One of the desirable ones. There are many kits and products made for it to suit your needs.
Does it have a screw in or push in vacuum modulator?

No real special tools needed for rebuilding. I recommend the george Reid book, How to Rebuild and modify Ford C4 and C6 Automatic Transmissions.

Also, check out Dynamic Racing Transmissions for kits and components. www.dynamicracetrans.com

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 2 port push in modulator.Thanks for the tips! I guess the hardest thing about the refresh is mounting this thing on my one size fits all fixture without the bell housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts