460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a big block...just the 6 cylinder one.

Turbo 300 inline six, fabricated aluminum head, 800ish ft-lbs going into the converter. Will be using a C6 and 8.8 axle, shortened the 8.8 and converted to use 9" style axle bearings and no C-clips.

Car will weigh around 2800lbs, it's a 70 Maverick.

If all I need is a good rebuild kit and the roller bearings, I work in a machine shop so doing the turning work to rollerize is no big deal. I'm not opposed to the 6 pinion steel planet assemblies either, but if they're just not needed, I'll run without them for now.

Target sport is drag racing, with a little stoplight fun now and again. It will be caged to run 9's and will be a drag week competitor, so will have to run some street miles.

I'm looking for input on:

Converter (Engine will make good power from 2800 to 7600RPM, hydraulic lifters)
Modulator (Vacuum modulator won't work, will it? What other option is out there?)
Steel planet assembly vs stock aluminum planet assembly
Input shaft
Other bugbears that come out to play?

The donor C6's are all 1990-1993 E-250 Econoline van transmissions, originally set up with 300-6 engines. I've never run an automatic in racing before, and don't have a lot of time to play with rebuilding the trans every year for a car that won't see more than 50 passes per year.

The engine in question is on it's second iteration, moving up to a steel crank, BBC rod journals for inexpensive rods, and a new cylinder head manufacture method for better cylinder-to-cylinder balance. Might splurge for roller cam, but probably will stay hydraulic flat for at least one more engine.

Probably going to run a pair of small Borg-Warner turbos, SX252-sized.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice setup..
Have a good read here lots info in the sticky posts https://www.460ford.com/forum/42-general-tech/

As for Valvebody you want either one of Franks or Broader Performance .

The roller mods are in the sticky posts , if you need more info sing out .

The factory planets are more than capable if in good condition

At 800 ftlb a good input shaft would be required from one of the name brand manufacturers . I've used a few TCi ones have been ok

A deep aluminium pan helps the case integrity

Mod the drums for added clutches is in the sticky posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so as long as the alloy planets are in good shape, I'll use those. I'll do the roller conversion as per the Frank's Method, I have all the details for that saved from last year's searching for this stuff.

I'll pick up a cast pan, input shaft, and as far as the valve body, I can go through one and clean it up, will the Trans-go HD2 shift kit work for this? Is the valve body that much more picky than, say, a 4L60e or 4L80e? (I've got experience rebuilding those, is why I ask)

I'm still a bit concerned that the modulator is going to present a problem. I haven't found a good solution for that yet.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The modulator does require vacuum . The Transgo kit may work.. Transgo also do a vacuum relief sort off valve to prevent vacuum to the modulator and bleeds off pressure

I have done similar with a turbo motor to C4 for auto shifts and made my own , I never got to personally road test it but the guy I did it for said worked fine . I had my doubts under boost for the 2-3 shift but he was happy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts