460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1800 miles on completely rebuilt trans. Just recently developed this issue. Everything works great cold, nice firm shifts and engagement of all gears immediately. However, when its warmed up and upon restart, it takes forever to engage forward gears. Reverse hits instantly but no forward gears. After a minute or two the forward gears will engage and then everything works fine in drive or shifting manually. I thought it was a sticking valve body, so I got a new valve body and it's still doing the same thing. Fluid is clean and not burnt and is properly filled. It's not getting hot, I have a huge Fluidamper remote cooler with fan and the temps are well under 180 all the time.

Almost like pressure or fluid is draining out of the forward gears circuit when it sits warm. Never does it cold.

Any ideas, I am stumped and frustrated!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Time for a pressure gauge and see if it may show what's happening. Next would be a forward clutch issue , nick a lip seal during assembly? Sealing ring issue ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg. Going to get a pressure gauge today. It's odd how it only does it warmed up and once it engages, it shifts fine. Oh well, if I have to take it out, I may as well upgrade to an overdrive trans.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Probably direct/foreward drum seal bad, had same symptoms on mine when warm, would drive in manual low, second only, I kept dropping inout of drive on open header cruise show, heat did the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts