460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I used to have a problem with blowing out gaskets on the 460 in my 70 Cougar. I used the Percy's Seal-4-Good and they've been in there for at least 50,000 miles and 9 years.

Is a metal shim gasket what is appropriate for this application?

Not sure if you'd want to use an insulating type of gasket. The exhaust manifold is cooled by transfering it's heat to the head. Probably be best to do whatever possible to keep the exhaust from glowing red. I've seen enough bunrt up RV's on the side of the road.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts
Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I used to have a problem with blowing out gaskets on the 460 in my 70 Cougar. I used the Percy's Seal-4-Good and they've been in there for at least 50,000 miles and 9 years.

Is a metal shim gasket what is appropriate for this application?

Not sure if you'd want to use an insulating type of gasket. The exhaust manifold is cooled by transfering it's heat to the head. Probably be best to do whatever possible to keep the exhaust from glowing red. I've seen enough bunrt up RV's on the side of the road.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts
I have heard that Percy's Seal-4-Good is very good stuff.
Thank You.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Gear Vendors in my pickup that I tow my 32 ft fifth wheel and I do love it but whether or not it's worth the investment is another issue. In my case I have a New Process 4 speed manual transmission so the Gear Vendors is a big help pulling hills in "3rd over". In my opinion you'll never recover your investment by fuel mileage. If you plan on keeping the RV for a few years it kind of amortizes out to where it isn't that bad and I think you would be happy with the performance but whether or not it's worth it is something only you can decide. If I had to do it again I think I would do it the same.

Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have a Gear Vendors in my pickup that I tow my 32 ft fifth wheel and I do love it but whether or not it's worth the investment is another issue. In my case I have a New Process 4 speed manual transmission so the Gear Vendors is a big help pulling hills in "3rd over". In my opinion you'll never recover your investment by fuel mileage. If you plan on keeping the RV for a few years it kind of amortizes out to where it isn't that bad and I think you would be happy with the performance but whether or not it's worth it is something only you can decide. If I had to do it again I think I would do it the same.

Ron
Thanks for the insight.
I have other issues now to correct that will prohibit me from getting a Gear Vendor unit.

I have to find a way to get cool air to the rear of the 460 motor in the dog house. That is where all the damage is occuring.

·
Registered
412 Posts
trip

Thats it now :eek: no trip to canada or alaska sorry forgot where u were going . [don`t know for sure thats what caused a crack in the head][ can maybe see a cracked manifold] but that dog house setup has been around a long time the air it gets is pushed thru and around into the dog house from the front maybe some from underneath as far as insulation mostly to keep engine heat out of cab.Just my thoughts don`t claim to know everything. LOL Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You Bill.
I suspect if anything, the manifold may be warped.
I will have the mechanic get asbestos gaskets. or double up a stock set.
Thanks again.
i know im late but i just got on this and was reading through. did you end up buying the materials from ebay?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts