460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission in my 79 F350 w/ 460 shifts to soon , 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I have read about adjustable modulators and different color strip modulators. With a adjustable modulator could I raise my shift points a little ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, turn the allen plug inside modulator in to raise part throttle shift point. To raise FULL throttle shifts, you have to pull tailshaft and play with governer weights, very tedious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, turn the allen plug inside modulator in to raise part throttle shift point. To raise FULL throttle shifts, you have to pull tailshaft and play with governer weights, very tedious.
raise full throttle
is the allen plug inside where the vacuum hose goes on? no need to raise full throttle shift points, ( F350 1ton 4x4). Thank You

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I turned it a 1/4 turn first and didn't feel any change , I turned it in another 1/2 turn but haven't driven it again yet. will post soon how that worked.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I usually go 1/2 turn at a time . If the screw is right out near flush its not uncommon to go in 3 or a tad more turns

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looked like it was pretty much all the way out , guess it will take a few more turns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drove it around this morning still shifts a little to soon, going to try another 1/2 turn or two.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
went about 3/4 of a turn more and drove it today , a little difference maybe try another whole turn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I could be wrong, but I seem to have read somewhere that the little screw also adjusts fluid pressure, does anybody know(merkle, -broader performance?) know if too many turns either way could harm trans? could get a pressure gauge and screw it in driver side trans where pipe plug is, to check baseline of fluid pressure shifting.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
That is correct . The figure Ford give is one turn in adds 3 psi .

The correct method of setting is to measure the spring tension on a scale and adjust the screw to a set weight that Transgo give

1 - 14 of 14 Posts