460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently lost 2nd gear after coming back from a car show... so I replaced the the intermediate servo piston which had a tear in it. I adjusted the intermediate band screw to 120in/lbs and backed off 1 1/2 turns per spec. 2nd gear is back, however, now I seem to be having issues between 2nd and 3rd. It will only shift to 3rd once I ease up on the throttle, and when coasting around 50-60mph if I engage the throttle at all it will immediately downshift to 2nd. It stays in 3rd if I'm going past 60mph. I replaced the vacuum modulator as well but it did not seem to help.

Before I take it into the shop... anyone have any ideas on what I should check / adjust? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You do have the modulator connected to full manifold vacuum at the intake ? As opposed to a ported vacuum nipple on the carb? It must have full vacuum at the modulator at idle
Sounds same symptoms I have repaired before

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have the modulator connected to full manifold vacuum (pulling about 16" of vacuum).

My in/lb torque wrench must be out of wack. This morning before work, I backed off the intermediate band screw another full turn and it is shifting A LOT better. Still hangs in 2nd a little longer than I'd like, but it is not flaring between 2nd and 3rd nearly as bad as before. I will try properly adjusting with another torque wrench and report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts