460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt a Ford C6 transmission. I put a shift kit (trans-scat), a higher servo lever apply ratio lever (E or FF if I recall), and I also added some extra frictions. When I manually shift the car from each speed it will usually work fine with the exception that it will not shift into 3rd unless the car is above 50 mph and you barely have your foot on the gas. Also, drive doesn't work so well, it will sometimes start in second or first and will not shift up unless the car is at a high speed. Also, I don't think that it has anything to do with the deep internals of the transmission because when I shift the transmission manually I get firm crisp shifts. Any input would be really helpful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pull driveshaft and extension housing,remove governor and remove the two valves inside,they MUST be able to fall out of their bores when tipped upside down if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, the transmission misses second when accelerating with the gear selector in drive, manually shifting to second works however. I did put a shift kit in it could that be what's wrong? What should I check first, the V body or the gov?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Also, the transmission misses second when accelerating with the gear selector in drive, manually shifting to second works however. I did put a shift kit in it could that be what's wrong? What should I check first, the V body or the gov?
Valve body.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Even with bought shift kits, for a harder shift we drill the 2nd gear hole out to 5/32" and the 3rd gear hole out to 1/8" in the v-body plate. As previously stated make sure the gov. works freely.

·
Registered
616 Posts
was this problem ever fixed, i have a similar problem with a fresh build !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I did end up fixing it. Turns out that something must have been wrong with the valve body or the shift kit. I went on ebay, bought a new valve body, popped it in, and the transmission works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts