460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I own a 1971 Lincoln Mark 3, got its transmission rebuilt 2 months ago because of bad seals, so I decided "well, might as well have a full proper rebuilding while I'm here"
Replaced all the seals, o-rings, clutch plates and steel disks, bands and so on (I gave the transmission to a trusted mechanic to do the job)

Once the trans was back on, it worked fine as it should have, but it had some funky shifts while going from 2nd to 3rd, by that I mean that while the transmission was ice cold, it worked perfectly, 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were smoother than modern days transmissions, then by the time the tranny warmed up a bit, it did not want to engage 3rd gear, it engaged only if I let go completely of the gas, the moment I put the slightest pressure on the gas pedal, it downshifted to 2nd gear, then once the tranny is nice and warmed up to temperature, it does engage 3rd gear but with a pretty long upshift, kind of consistently (I did check and adjust the vacuum modulator but that had little to no difference)

Up until today I didn't really pay much attention to it, but today I did a slight pull, going WOT from 10mph to 70-80mph (all at operating temperatures) and when I let go the gas it seemed as if the car braked, not just engine brake
Stopped the car, put it in neutral, put it in drive and it all worked fine after this
Worried for this, I got home and checked the trans fluid level (put the car in neutral after going through the gears) and it had a burnt smell coming from the dipstick tube and has some bubbles on the dipstick itself... and noticed that the fluid level was 1.5/2 inches above the max on the dipstick
And also, when I put it in reverse, it "clunked" twice, and after the second "clunk" it engages perfectly

Could the problematic 3rd gear engagement and bubbles/burnt smell from the fluid have been caused by the overfill?
Thanks in advance, everything helps!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Could be a lot of things but one thing you can check is band adjustment.If too tight,the trans could have a 2,3 bind.The late great Gil Younger of Transgo explains his adjustment method as follows...Get the car up on stands,trans in neutral.You will notice the driveshaft will turn easy one way but be hard or impossible to turn the other way,by hand.Loosen the lock nut on the adjusting screw and tighten the screw till fairly snug.Back off the screw till you can just turn the driveshaft the hard way with one hand.Hold the screw with a wrench and tighten the lock nut.Not Gil's word for word but that's close.Be worth a shot.I would do a complete fluid flush.Worst case,trans comes back out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is kick down lever adjusted? I had one that the owner had disconnected the kick down rod but the kick down lever on the transmission had somehow become jammed in the kick down position causing shifts to be greatly extended.
James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts