460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if there is an aftermarket case or ultrabell for a c 6?also,anyone had luck with a glide in a 3600 lb car. were running low 9s now and would like to spray another 150 dont know if glide will handle it with our cars wt. its also a street driven vehicle as we compete in true street events

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I think CSR makes a sheild that covers the unit including the bell. I plan on using on of these myself.

The Glide will work but get ready to spend some money, the cheap one wont live.

C6 done right is the ticket.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
511Fox said:
Danny you got to have a mind like a Kentucky bear trap :!: :lol:

Great work you are trully an asset to this site :!: :p :oops: :roll:
Thanks.

revnrandy said:
does anyone know if there is an aftermarket case or ultrabell for a c 6?
Neither page 7 or 15 of the JW Performance catalog lists a C6 Ultra-Bell (not necessary?):
http://www.racewithjw.com/JW_catalog.pdf
I'm using a JW Ultra-Bell on my Lentech Strip Terminator AOD, only because I had to ('385 series' adaptation purposes).

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Thm400 are a great trans as long as you dont run aluminum rods and don't to shift it to neutral after going throw the traps . It will roll the intermediate sprag everytime . I had a buddy (Chev)running some high end($$$$) ones and the problem plague him to death, this year he gave up on them and when PG -also gave up a tenth on a 8.90 car
Frank

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I believe the T-400 can also have problems when used in a decent HP car that also sees high RPM shift points.

A chebby guy I know is having a heck of a time keeping 2+3 gear clutches in his T-400 equipped 500" 4.80 doorcar. He switched from a glide & 33.5" slicks to a high dollar T-400 & 34.5" slick combo. The trans guy built him the same T-400 setup with all the good parts, killer shafts & the big sprag, that have held up in his other customers 700+ inch combos.

But it turns out after talking to ATI & BTE (and others) that a T-400 just isn't going to be able to handle both decent HP & 9000 - 9500 shift points for long because of the factory 400's heavy drum weights. ATI said the best cure was to reduce the internal component spinning weight with two aftermarket 400 aluminum drums ($$$ :shock: ) to help cure the problem. ATI is currently out of the aluminum drums (it figures) so the car owner is going through nitrous withdraws because he hasn't had a "track fix" in about a month. :lol:

The big sprag does help the 400 but it can't cure the fact that your asking a lot from a T-400 in a high RPM combo when you want it's heavy factory drum(s) to go from 9500 RPM to zero in a split second at the gear change without rolling the sprag or smoking the clutches.

Stick with the Ford transmissions, or a glide.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
You should post some pics of this thing, I have seen it, and when we first saw it show up we thought it was a joke.

We were wrong lol.

Big Mike said it was "like driving a closet".......lololol

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
richter69 said:
You should post some pics of this thing~~Big Mike said it was "like driving a closet".......lololol
Not in the engine tech section because it's chebby powered,.....and damn ugly in raw fiberglass :lol: . I might post some pics of it in the garage section later.

To add to the trans vs high RPM subject, I think the C-6 can have some RPM related problems too. The C-6 factory style front pump rings can tear up their seats & mating surfaces at higher RPM's and should be replaced with Teflon rings. And of course the fix of replacing the thrust washers with thrust bearings.

The cost to rollerize a C-6 and replace the iron pump rings with Teflon, just has to cost a lot less (maybe Frank has a cost breakdown) than the T-400 "fix" of replacing the sprag & two heavy factory drums with a monster sprag & two aluminum drums (aprox $800 each!).

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
those are cheap to do in a c6, hell every tranny I build gets the teflon rings.

The c6 can also benefit from an alum drum, TCI makes one to the tune of like 900 bucks, JPT in houses one as well but never got a cost. Thats one heavy chunk of steel that undergoes some rapid start stop start motion, one good thing on the c6 is there is no sprag to worry about, but the shift time needs to be dealt with and it seems Frank has that figured out.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
richter69 said:
The c6 can also benefit from an alum drum, TCI makes one to the tune of like 900 bucks.
Is this the same C-6 5 clutch drum that Motorsport had for about $65 - 85 bucks? Or is this another drum or something else/new?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts