460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a c9ve engine with c8ve heads the back of the block is stamped 460. I know this much. The rest is The guy I bought it from claimsits a CJ block I havent torn it down yet. It really doesnt matter to me if it is or not but how would you tell on the block. The heads I feel sure I know about . Also it has chrome valve covers with ford stickers thats once listed modifcations to the engine the specs are long gone. I just think its kind of neat and wondered if that was a dealer thing or what if any body knows. Thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
The heads are run of the mill 429\460. They're great for a moderate performance build with the proper amount of work. CJ heads have a casting number of D0OE-R. The shortblock may or may not be a CJ. If it has flat top pistons with a single valve relief, it may be a CJ shortblock. The rods would be D0OE with football shaped bolt heads. It's irrelevant anyway, you'll replace the rotating assembly with different stuff anyway.

Welcome to Backyard Bubba's fantasy land where every motor they sell with a fomoco stamp is a CJ or SCJ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the info. I dont live in a fantasy land. And Im sorry if I insulted your intelligence with my stupid question.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Everybody out there claims to be selling a CJ or a SCJ. Look close and be wary.

·
Premium Member
5,588 Posts
I recently bought a c9ve engine with c8ve heads the back of the block is stamped 460. I know this much. The rest is The guy I bought it from claimsits a CJ block I havent torn it down yet. It really doesnt matter to me if it is or not but how would you tell on the block. The heads I feel sure I know about . Also it has chrome valve covers with ford stickers thats once listed modifcations to the engine the specs are long gone. I just think its kind of neat and wondered if that was a dealer thing or what if any body knows. Thanks
The C8VE heads are standard passenger car heads, not CJ heads. However, they are the high compression heads and very desirable castings.

The C9VE block is a standard 1969 passenger car block. It is not the preferred CJ block with the thicker main webs (casting D0VE-A).

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much thicker are the main webs on the cj block? Just for reference. (I get to see a lot more old engines in my new profession ) While on the block subject I now have a d3ve 429 block and heads, either block with the c8 heads or should I go with the c9 block. Im planning on a weekend driver on pump gas, but for lack of a better term I want it nasty. I have an 89 bronco its going in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I almost forgot Thank you. Ive never seen a cj block or heads that I know of and I dont want to screw up when I find them because, I will see them.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Remember the part numbers,DOOR-E and DOVE-A for blocks and some 71 ones forgot #. If its original the cast aluminum valve covers is a dead give away its a cj or police motor which is a great find also. Wont see too many in yards anymore.., ED

·
Registered
684 Posts
How much thicker are the main webs on the cj block? Just for reference. (I get to see a lot more old engines in my new profession ) While on the block subject I now have a d3ve 429 block and heads, either block with the c8 heads or should I go with the c9 block. Im planning on a weekend driver on pump gas, but for lack of a better term I want it nasty. I have an 89 bronco its going in.
Any combination of those blocks and heads will work fine. The D3 block will have more deck height as compared to the C9. If you want to buy a stroker kit, which 95% of the time have a 10.300 total height, then the D3 block will *more than likely* offer more deck material to cut. With the d3 heads, you'll run flat top pistons to get your compression in the 10:1 range. With the small chamber c8's, you'll need a dished piston. The other big difference is the rocker setups for each. I'm not that versed on the D3 rocker options, but I know it's different as compared to the C8, C9, and D0 heads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pulled the heads off the older engine last nite. Have it on the stand now. I have a guy really wanting the c9 heads, so Im thinking I will part with them but not sure if I want to really. The d3 is a 429 and I know I can build plenty of power to hurt myself with it. Today I got in a 77 or 78 lincoln with a 460 guess I'll cut that out and set it back to sombody will want it. And you said dished on the old heads it has flattop with valve reliefs now. Will it not run with that much compression even with premium gas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts